Honest opinion on Parrot fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tonyvensis

AC Members
Dec 31, 2007
I have noticed that a lot of people here keep Parrot fish. What is everone elses view on Parrot fish. Not to offend anyone but I think anyone that keeps
Parrot fish cannot call themselves proper fish keepers. They are a man made
monstrocitie. Most are dyed and suffer terrible health problems. Even swimming for these fish is a chore. Their spines are curved and as they get older/bigger, terrible pressure is exerted on their swimbladder causing mobility
problems and ill health.

Please see this as a proper post with potential for great debate. I don`t want a slagging match/name calling session. I am totally against dyed and
man made fish.
Fish keepers are always open to hybridising/cross breeding but Parrots are
deliberately contrived by man and are a total discrace IMO.

What are you opinions.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I am not against hybrids or genetically modified fish. Heck I just bought a hybrid the other day.
I am against any fish deformed enough to suffer. Therefore I am against parrot hybrid cichlids. Once I found special parrot cichlid food for sale to suit their deformed mouths. I've seen things like asymmetrical faces, bent spines, mouths so deformed they are in a permanent kissing/ smooching look. I don't know how else to explain this.

I am also against dying fish, but that's another separate issue from hybrid parrot cichlids. Not everyone who decides to keep/likes hybrid parrot cichlids also likes dyed fish.
I was surprised that experienced ***********s like these fish, I would have thought only dumb noob aquarists would buy them.

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
I love hybrids but.. Parrots are ugly as hell, even my girlfriend hates them!

by far the dumbest looking hybrid I have ever seen. But I do always feel really bad for them knowing they are the kwazimodo of all fish.

buzzbombtom

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
lame/ stressed/ aggression/ sick/ reproducers/ suffering/ color enhancement and eventually color loss. you take your pic all of these represent reasons why parrots are lame.

cwt24

The Lurker
Dec 31, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I am completely aginast the dying of fish, which is why I only have blood parrots. I like the parrots I have. I feel bad that they are hybrids, but thats all they are, hybrids. Hybrids occur across many different species. I mean, people dont want to stop the production of mules, do they? That being said, they have long life spans, which is not generally seen in terrible genertic mutations. I like my parrots, and they have great personalities. I had my parrots before I knew they were hybrids, but that doesnt change the fact that it is a bit cruel. But until they start to be terribly deformed, and have decreased lifespans like deformed fish, my two will parrots will be some of my favorite fish.

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
imo parrots are genetic mutations, how many fish do you know with triangle shaped mouths?

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I am not sure if I am a "proper fish keeper". Taking fish out of nature and housing them in a glass box, what is PETA's stance on this? As you can guess they are against it. Click here: http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=30

Here is a quote if you do not want to go to the website:

Fragile tropical fish, who were born to dwell in the majestic seas and forage among brilliantly colored coral reefs, suffer miserably when forced to spend their lives in glass aquariums. The same is true of river fish. Robbed of their natural habitats and denied the ability to travel freely, they must swim around in the same few cubic inches of water over and over.
So is fish keeping even proper? In some peoples eyes it is not. We all have opinons on what is right and what is wrong.

I have a couple of bettas, now I know that they are put thru the wringer to make it to my home, and by me buying them, companies will just keep selling them.

I have parrot fish. I do not think they were artifically made, just one breed bred with another breed. I most likely have a few malwai hybreds in my tank, I mixed them, stuff happens.

I also have glofish, now these were altered. I think they are awesome. The fact that man (or woman) could change the DNA of a fish to make it glow, blows my mind.

Personally, I am against dying of fish, but I still purchase from stores that sell them. I also do not get offended if someone keeps dyed fish.

I have seen online the tatooed fish and "cut" fish. While again I am personally against this, it does not get me too worked up.

I also like to fish and eat fish. Not the ones in my tank, but if I could have a big enough pond, I would raise fish to catch and eat.

I keep fish. I also have 4 cats and 2 dogs. The cats and dogs have names and are treated like part of the family. The fish do not have names (well some of the plecos do) and in reality are not treated as family.

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
I've been a vegetarian for 3+ years and am for a lot of petas stuff, but a lot of it is also ridiculous. If peta was actually all about "ethical treatment" I wouldn't have a problem with them. But thats not always their main concern.

this is by far my favorite peta thing ever.
http://www.peta2.com/Trollsens/dress_up.asp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store