Brackish gobies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

destined_love7

Aquariaholic
Sep 27, 2007
I have some Bumblebee gobies and I just love them. But today the fish guy called and said he had some purple spot and butterfly gobies. Do any of you have info (care/feeding) and pics of these fish. I've been looking online, but there is so much contradicting info and no really clear pictures. Do you know of any other pretty, personality packed, brakish gobies?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The fish most often sold as a butterfly goby is the waspfish, Vespicula depressifrons. There is some info about them around but its hard to find, I believe there are a few people on here that have purchased them before.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
All the freshwater gobies that I know of do better in brackish and some even in marine tanks. There's no true freshwater only gobies that I know of. The purple spot is probably a morph of the blue-spotted. You might consider knight gobies. Fat sleepers and marble sleepers get enormous.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I'm guessing the purplespot is probably a sleeper, and agree that the butterfly is likely the waspfish, which I believe isn't actually a goby.

There are actually quite a number of freshwater gobies, some of which do pop up in the hobby (BBGs, Stiphodons, R. duospilus, candystripe goby, peacock gudgeon, desert goby, etc).

As for small brackish gobies, the rhinohorn goby comes to mind.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Make sure you find out what species it is, as you might end up with a sleeper that can grow over 2 feet.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
3.5" I believe. You're going to need a new tank for this one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store