Need some stocking advice for a 55 community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khuye

Registered Member
May 15, 2007
Hello All -
I have a 55G tank that I would like to setup as a community tank. I have been out of the FW setups for a number of years and I need some advice on what I could put in there. I am mainly looking for suggestions on inverts and bottom dwellers, but I am open to any suggestions you may make.

I originally had wanted to put some clown loaches in there with the intention of moving them to a larger setup at some point in the future. However, after lurking around on the site for several months, I am not sure that I will ever have a tank that can adequately accomodate them.

I would like some suggestions on some inverts that would be beneficial in this tank. I have sand as a substrate and would like to have some snails keeping the bed stirred up for me. I like the idea of having snails and also having something in the tank to keep their numbers in check.

Also, here are some fish that I have had in the past (not all in the same tank, mind you) that I really like...

Cherry Barbs
Tiger Barbs
Severums
Clown Loaches

Also, I would like to have some schooling activity in there if possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

khuye

Registered Member
May 15, 2007
Ok, after doing some reading on a couple of different websites, I think I would like to try some Dwarf Chain Loaches instead of the Clown Loaches. And for inverts, I am interested in the Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Can anyone suggest a reliable online source for either (both) of these. Our local stores here don't really have much in the way of selection.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
The severums get pretty large, I'd get a smaller cichlid pair instead, so that you can keep more tankmates. A good choice could be blue acaras or smaller cichlids like Laetacara.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ask in the Wanted section for Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They reproduce like crazy, so someone should be able to give you some. I just sent off over 100 of them not too long ago to a friend. Beware though that their numbers will boom, high enough to the point that they may cause a calcium deficiency in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store