Seachem's Prime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wcader

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
I've been using StressCoat for the past couple of years, but I'd like to move to something that doesn't contain Aloe Vera. Seachem's Prime seems to be highly rated, but here's my problem.

I do 25% water changes on my six freshwater tanks every two weeks, using a Python. My water supply has chloramines. Seachem's Prime seems to designed primarilly for saltwater tanks. Those folks mix their salt and chemicals into the water BEFORE dumping it in the tank, and Seachem instructs those folks to add the Prime to that new water in the correct amount before adding the water to the tank.

When doing a freshwater change using a python, there's no way to mix in the Prime first, so Seachem recommends adding enough Prime to treat the entire volume of the tank, rather than just enough to treat the new water.

Doing it that way, isn't Prime, itself, going to build up in my tank? Is anybody using Prime who just adds enough directly to the tank to treat the amount of new water (like I can get away with using Stress Coat)?

Thanks!

Oscar_Wild

"Fish are friends, not food!"
Nov 27, 2002
Salina, KS
www.2-one.net
I use prime all the time and use a python as well. If I remember correctly, the prime advises salt water users to use prime on the fresh water before adding any salt.

I just add the prime to the stream of the python.

Oscar_Wild

wcader

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Are you adding enough Prime to treat the entire volume of the tank, or just enough to treat the amount of new water you're adding with the Python?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
You are correct that Prime recommends dosing for tank volume when adding new water directly to the tank. I don't know the reason (a long time back there was a thread in which we speculated about the reason for this, but I don't think we ever really came up with a satisfying answer.)

I don't recall ever seeing these types of instructions on any other dechlorinator or similar product (e.g., Amquel). Maybe an email to Seachem would illuminate? They're pretty good about answering these sorts of questions.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store