Glass Anemone: Please Help Identify

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I have a piece of LR I recently aquired, which came with all sorts of hitchikers. A couple mini sepent stars, snails, feathers and all sorts of odd things.

But in particular I found 3 of these glass anemones. They kindof open and close a bit like a feather duster.

They don't like light at all, even a dim flashlight has them retracting. They are extremely difficult to see and unless the light is shining at proper angle, you cannot see em.

In the picks I circled them, ball tips on long clear arms, the ball ends are pretty clear also, just the light gets caught in them pretty good compared to the rest of it.

At first look I almost though majano, but I don't think so anymore.

The arms/tentacles move about searching for food particles and are actually fairly active. Not just flowing in the breeze.

If they are harmfull to my inhabitants, I can make them dissapear fairly easy while they are still on this one rock.

Any ideas?

DSC02180.JPG DSC02182.JPG

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Yes the pictures are tough, heck, you can barely see them, so I was surprised I even caught them this good.

But... They are light sensitive.

RFG Do they cause problems? I heard that they will typically grow underneath rocks etc. Being that they don't seem to like the light I can't see them getting all over the place like aiptaisia.

Can they get big? If I'm going to keep them I would like to see them better :grinyes:

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
i have those. i always refered to them as glass nems too, but it gets confusing. Now i mainly hear them called Bulb anemones

some crazy broad posted a while back that she had some crazy cool undiscovered clear coral in her tank.

took one look and could see that they were just Bulb nems.

i tried to tell here that they were just common glass/bulb nem's, but i only knew them as glass nems at the time, so google was un-productive.

so her "undiscoverd coral":wall: i guess, is still undiscovered.

any-who i have them, always had, and they're of late becoming pests.

they really learn to spread around quick, and beefup snagging whatever they can from the current.

i used to pay no notice, but as of late they seem to be coming out of the dary and posting up in the middle of a few of my zoa colonies.

as far as getting rid of them, lemme know if you hear anything better than kalsawasser in a needle

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Hmmm, guess I shall delete them when I get back in a week or so.

My method is rather simple. I have a syringe from my ink refill kit that works perfect. I boil up some water, shoot it directly on em (aiptasia so far). Then I fill it one more time and blast the thing again only this time pulling the plunger back and sucking the dead thing out of the tank.

Works like a charm.

Mine are rather small, the big ones I guess I would use the shop vac :rofl:

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
yea, nice...

but majanos are a completly different thing...

We yukin up bulb/glass anemones

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store