breeding cherry shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
am i right in saying that the female gets her saddle like in the pic's just before she mates and becomes berried or does she have all the time when she hits sexual maturity?

IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0409.JPG

InTr4nceWeTrust

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Not even a day and you bumped your thread? : /
Anyways, they'll have their saddle all the time as long as they're mature. They'll generally mate after shedding. So if you see some shrimp skin floating in your tank, keep an eye out for a berried cherry.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
to impatient trace. lol.

cheers, i see them all the time (molted skin)but not in the last week. i see more and more cherries now there settling in after 3 weeks. i have 10

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
they become saddled at sexual maturity (i think its actually their ovaries we are seeing) once fertilized the eggs are moved into the swimmerettes and they are visually "berried". Please keep replies on topic.

Danimal62

AC Members
Dec 24, 2007
The saddle you are seeing are the eggs developing in the females ovaries. Once the female is ready to breed she will release a pheromone and the males will begin to search for her. It is quite noticeable.

For more information about Breeding Cherry Shrimp visit my website.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
3rd or 4th it. she is saddled until mating. ive been waiting 2 weeks now after saddle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store