carp trap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adam78

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
yep.....the wild carp...i have fresh water creek next to my house and we have had alot of rain the last few months...and the carp have been washed into the creek..and the fishing rod just not doing the job...and ideas of killing some of them off..some of them are 4ft long.... please help

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I know if you feed carp enough a cast net will work pretty good once you bait them with the food.
Yep! A throw net is first class as well as a cross bow.

The meat and bones will make first class channel or blue cat bait.

TR

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
yep.....the wild carp...i have fresh water creek next to my house and we have had alot of rain the last few months...and the carp have been washed into the creek..and the fishing rod just not doing the job...and ideas of killing some of them off..some of them are 4ft long.... please help
Any reason in particular you are trying to kill them off?

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Any reason in particular you are trying to kill them off?
Excellent Question which I do not know that I can answer but I can make several comments:

I do not believe that carp are indigenous to West Texas.

When my paternal grandparents moved to West Texas in order to be able to "share crop" larger areas their house was on the North Concho River approximately 15 miles upstream from San Angelo.

At that time there were no carp in the River (or at least none were caught or could be seen [during the winter the water was crystal clear]).

Also at that time yellow catfish, channel catfish, black bass, many types of perch and minnows (including red fin minnows) were abundant in the River.

Within a few years "after the carp showed up" the River was full of carp and the populations of the previously cited edible fish had declined significantly.

TR

Adam78

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
well carp are a pest in australia....they are number one pest in our waterways....might just have to throw some bread to them then blow them away with the shotty lol or somthing....we did have alot of bass and mullet in the creek but the carp have out numbered them.....but the carp are good for the vegie garden

deadxero

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
You are correct in that carp are not indigenous to Texas... or any other part of North America. Here's some additional information you might find interesting.

http://www.specifysoftware.org/Informatics/bios/biostownpeterson/Zetal_CJF_2006.pdf

Personally I disagree with actions such as you are taking. It is unlikely your killing of these fish will have any impact what so ever on the larger ecological health of your region. I see it as wasteful to kill something for no purpose, I am assuming you have no intention of eating the fish as you insinuated that they are not among edible fish species. I do agree that it is unfortunate when any destructive non-native species are introduced into into sensitive ecosystems. I have also seen others take actions identical to your own which produced not positive outcome what so ever. Philosophically it is akin to a Native American walking into Walmart with an assault rifle in attempt to eliminate all of the Europeans that were unnaturally introduced into his ancestral homeland. Realistically it is a complete waste of your time and of perfectly good meat, carp are very edible if prepared properly.

Please don't take this personally... just my opinion... I have too many of them for my own good.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Please don't take this personally... just my opinion... I have too many of them for my own good.
:grinyes::grinyes::grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:
So do I deadxero!

A couple of items to note:

Along about the time my grandparents were starving as share croppers and were moving to San Angelo the boys in Austin came up with the brilliant idea of poisoning the carp.

When the "Austin boys" finished poisoning the holes near my grandparents house a few carp were floating, a ton of channel cat and perch were floating and all the red fin minnows were floating.
(I mentioned them in my previous post as they apparently were the staple diet for the other fish as my Daddy and Granddaddy would bait their trot line hooks with them in order to catch channel and yellow cat).

Carp meat can be eaten and is fairly good but the process involves cutting "fillets" along the ribs, soaking the fillets in Balsamic Vinegar and various spices for several days in the refrigerator and serving cold. (The small bones are still there but have "pretty much been dissolved by the Vinegar).

Having said that the Carp meat is "nowhere and I really mean nowhere" close to the "yum yum" of battered and deep fried fillets cut off a 60 pound yellow cat.

I agree that eradication of Carp in West Texas is not possible but I disagree in that reducing their density is possible.

Virtually everyone who catches a carp severes it's neck and tosses it on the bank for the Coons' midnight snack.

In addition the induction of blue cats from the Pecos River to West Texas has helped in controlling Carp populations.

The largest blue cat which I have ever caught was approximately 12 pounds and I caught him on a hook baited with a one pound carp.

The largest yellow cat which I have ever caught was 60 pounds and I caught him on a hook baited with a three pound carp.

I know that I have had a ton of verbal diarrhea here but hopefully I have provided some insight.

TR

One last item:

Please note that the introduction of alligator gar from the Rio Grandee River has, IMHO, also significantly helped to reduce the Carp population.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store