redone pond filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I suppose this could go either here or in the pond forum, but whatever, if it needs to be moved, so be it.

Anyway, I built this filter for my pond, which is approximately 1200gal. I went through three or four iterations before setting on one that I liked, and this one still needs some tweaking but its going to involve getting wet, so further work is going to wait until the spring.

The basic idea was just a giant canister filter. I started off with two 4" tubes, then stepped it up to four when I upsized the pump. The whole filter is about 6' tall including the end manifolds, the 4" parts are about 4' each, all filled with lava rock. There is a prefilter box in the pond with some sponges that need to be cleaned out periodically.

In this first picture, you can see the whole setup here. Water comes in through the wall, down and in the bottom manifold. Up through the filter, into the exit manifold, through the UV filter, then the pump pulls it up and back into the pond where it drains back through a small water feature.

In this picture you can see I used threaded ends in case I need to take it apart and clean/change the media for any reason. I might end up switching the lava rock to pot scrubbers eventually simply because those tubes way quite a bit when filled with sopping wet lava rock.

Closeup of the pump and UV filter. The pump is an Oceanrunner 6500, pumps 1700gph. The UV filter is an 18W Turbo Twist, and works great. I didn't have one when I initially set the pond up, and within 2 weeks my pond looked like a giant pool of green koolaid. This thing had it crystal clear within 3-4 days.

This is a little attachment I added for priming the system. Eventually I want to add a screw-on adapter and a few ball valves so I can just screw a garden hose on. Right now its kind of a "hold your thumb over the hole and slam the plug in before you get squirted" deal...not so ideal.

Here you can see the upper manifold going into the UV filter and pump.

Closer-up

The whole corner there...lots going on. Beer and wine storage and aging, brewing, sw mixing, electrical :)eek:) and oil tank. One bonus - the oil company just came and switched the oil fill pipes. For those who saw my pond build thread, the oil fill pipe was right next to the pond. It's now on the other side of the house, so the oil guys don't need to come near the pond, and the pipes no longer stick up behind the pond edge. Safer and aesthetically pleasing :grinyes:

So, thats pretty much it. Future changes include ball valves on each separate leg so I can flush them out individually, a better priming setup with ball valves, a more sturdy support stand for the whole thing, and trying to trim down the end manifolds so the thing isn't so dang tall. Also, don't mind the odd-sized hoses all put together with barb fittings. I started changing a few things then just kind of went nuts on it. I figured I had enough spare parts to do it all - guess not. The holes in the house are only 1", and most of the system uses 1.25" OD hose, so I would like to enlarge the holes and use the larger tubing throughout.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I don't get it when I see people recommending 18w and 36w models for 55ish gallon tanks...overkill much?

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Yeah, I don't get it when I see people recommending 18w and 36w models for 55ish gallon tanks...overkill much?
IDK, I never have done any actual testing of UV, I mean I needed it once with ick, and it seemed to work, so thats about all the more conclusive testing I've done. In the manual though my 9W TT says something like sub-100 gph figures to be effective against parasites (I forget the exact number off hand)... algae was a little higher... but I'd figure if you double those flow limits for the 18W unit then your still several times more flow and resulting in several times less exposure... but you still had good results.

I have a 15W unit I got last year when petsmart had the goof up ad (the aquastep 15W) which I was hoping would be sufficient for my 240g if ever needed. But due to that tank running like 1500gph or more I figure I'd hook it to a smaller pump in the sump tank... which would mean a lot of the water would bypass the UV.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice set up. I think the isolation valves for each of the tubes would be very beneficial.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Amazing! I might try and make something like this, just a little smaller in size. Thanks for the inspiration Sploke, I appriciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store