saltwater biube setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Ok I have a 9 gallon biube tank that's still in the box. I haven't found a place to put it yet and not really sure what I want to put in it. I was thinking last night of maybe setting up a small salt water tank. Now I know I probably won't be able to keep fish in it since it's a cylinder tank. But I was thinking of just putting some sand, live rock and maybe a few invertibrates. I was thinking of small hermit crabs, some shrimp, and snails. Would this work? I'd love to have a fish in there as well but I honestly can't think of fish that would be happy and healthy in a cylinder tank. If you can recommend a small fish to keep in it that would be great. But I'll be happy with an invertibrate tank as well. Maybe you guys can recommend some interesting looking shrimps or other invertibrates. I'm going to be doing some research on it. I'd definately love to have a small slatwater tank, since I don't have the room or money for a larger tank. So any info would be appreciated.

redskins2647

Aj Lighton
Aug 1, 2007
virginia
hmm

There are plenty of fish you could do in a 9 gallon idk if the shape really matters a clown goby woulb be a good choice or a neon blue goby or a court jester goby or a yellow stripe clingfish or a transparent cave goby or a red striped goby or a red head goby or a catalina goby or a golden neon goby or a trimma goby or a high fin banded goby or a yellow watchman goby pistol shrimp pair or a orange stripe prawn goby or a firefish or purple firefish or a yellow head jawfish or a single ocellaris clown.
:)the list goes on and on my favorites are the court jester goby the firefish and the clown goby all of which stay small just do some research before you decide to start on anything

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Thanks redskins2647. I wasn't really sure if my tank would be big enough for a fish. This is what the biube looks like: http://www.tropicalfishstore.com/images/biube_blk_hi-res.jpg

So setting up a biube to be a saltwater tank is possible? I don't want to get any fish that won't do well in the tank. I'm definately going to do my research into nano tanks and setting up saltwater tanks before I do anything. You want about a pound of live rock for every gallon of water right? I'll have to look up the fish that you mentioned and do some research on them. Thanks again for the info and advice.

redskins2647

Aj Lighton
Aug 1, 2007
virginia
hmm

I didnt know it was that i mean it could be possible but harder then i thought and yes you were right about the lr 1.0 to 1.5 lbs per gallon but doing it in the bioube would be very difficult
i was confused but why dont you just find a used 10 gallon and if your jusdoing fish you dont need new lights only a couple powerheads and lr and a heater? but if you did do the bioube youd take out the undergravel filter replace it with a powerhead and lr and sand and i guess it would work ive just never actually seen one

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
you wont be able to put sand in the biube, you would have to use the media provided. I think you will find it had to keep the glass free of coraline algae due to the shape though and you wont be able to fit any power heads in it for the necceassary flow. You can get a marine conversion kit for the biorb/biube but you will find most people against using these tanks due to the shape although in this months practical fishkeeping magazine they have an article on how to set up a marine biube

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
I wouldnt use that tank for a SW setup. But I would move your stock from your 10 gallon tank into your 20 gallon tank and use the 10 gallon as a SW setup. That way you already have a heater and lights and all you would need is a powerhead which is pretty cheap. Get one of these powerheads. You only need the Nano that does 240gph. They are cheap and great powerheads.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Thanks for the information guys. Well the only reason I was thinking of using the biube is because it's empty and I was thinking of what I could put in it.
I could move the betta to the 20 gallon but I have my goldfish is in there. I'd rather not get rid of him or move him to a smaller tank so I suppose I'll have to wait. I do have an extra 10 gallon but I don't have any room to set it up and I would need to get a heater, filter and hood for it. Thanks for the information and advice guys. I'll still do research on nano tanks until I have a more suitable tank to set one up. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store