Mom eating her freshly laid eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MissLiz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
My mom cory... well now two mature enough to be moms... have been laying lots of eggs lately. Generally they have not been fertilized, but in one of the most recent batches there were four that definitely had youngsters growing in them. They were kind of hidden by a heater and so went unnoticed by the adults I guess.
As I watched her lay more eggs, I saw her no sooner deposit them on the glass than turn and remove and eat them! She swam around laying and eating eggs until i sprinkled some food in and distracted her. Unfortunately, during the course of the next couple of days, the developing embrios got eaten too until at last, the biggest baby vanished.
Now, I have been hoping to have some baby cories make it for quite some time. I had always wondered what was happening to them. Some i would see just decompose where they had been laid in the plants. The only youngster i ever had survive, only did so by having gotten sucked down while still an egg, and hatched under the platform in a bottom filtered tank...he later made his appearance when he got too big for down there, i guess, and swam up into the bubbler tube coming up from the bottom.

What would be the best solution to protect any fertile eggs? Should i attempt to remove them to some other place? Put some sort of barrier around them that no one can get past? Is there anything on the market to do this? Or am I going to have to get creative? Any suggestions?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Cory eggs can be handled fairly soon after they are deposited. You can remove them to a hatching setup. You will need heat, air and Methyl Blue to prevent fungus. The blue should be removed from the water using wc and carbon when you get wigglers.

MissLiz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Any recommendations for removing them from the glass without damaging them? wc?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The eggs are pretty tough- you can use fingers- you can syphon using airline. The eggs are sticky so if using a syphon make sure they come out the other end.

MissLiz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2007
Ok.I don't mind getting sticky eggs on my finger if it won't hurt the eggs. What is the "WC" you mentioned for removal, along with carbon, of the Methyl Blue?

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
wc is waterchange. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store