blood streaked fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
My oranda has blood streaked fins. We had a huge windstorm here (hurricane force winds - it was CRAZY), lost power for a while and heat. I am assuming that the power outage threw the tank levels off.

I am looking for affirmation on the following:
  • first cause could be nitrite poisoning in which case immediate large, water change is done - we have just done this- our levels were a *bit* off.
  • second cause could be septicimia (sp), in which case we should treat with antibiotic, raise the water temperature, and add a bit of aquarium salt.

We have done the first, but I would like some input on a reliable antibiotic for him. I have had him for a long time, he is beautiful and I don't want to lose him.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
Ok I did some web and forum searching and answered most of my own questions.

What I would like to know is what would any of you recommend for an antibiotic? I have not had to use anything before but Pimafix, Melafix.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
Update for those looking for answers or anyone else who has better advice:

I am treating with Furazone-Green, Erythromycin. I have done a water change, slightly increased the temperature, and added some aquarium salt.

So far he is looking a bit happier and begging for food again.

I do understand that I will probably have issues with nitrifying bacteria dying off.

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
Glad to hear you got things under control. You've got great medications on hand. I would have recommended the Erythromycin.

I treated Septicemia with Furan-2 once, that also worked well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store