Fuge ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Ok, I have been looking at melevsreef.com and there is one in there that looks like I could possible make myself it is the "simple pump & refugium", it is 22x14 do you think that would be big enough for my 55g or should I try and make it longer and taller??
http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Why don't you just find a glass tank and create and install the baffles instead? Much easier I would think.

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
Using a tank with dividers would be your cheapest and I think easiest way. Just get the tank you want, put in the glass panels that you want and it is ready. I built mine in a couple of hours and the next day I had it up and running.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Well, I know I can get a 20L for 42.00 at the LFS....I was going to ask them about a 30-40L I have 26" under my tank to work with (height wise) I think I read that a 40L was 48Lx 12Wx 14L so that may be a little long to fit under.

So if I do it with the tank, would I do everything the same except the sides, bottom and front, back will already be there?

I plan on trying to start this in like a week or two.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
You have a 55 right? The standard length of a 55 gal should be 48 inches. It might be tight but at that rate you'd have almost 100 gal of water volume. But I'd think the 30 would probably be ok as well.. I guess the determining factor would be what amount of room you want for the fuge area and what amount of area do you need for the skimmer (I thought you said you were planning on one). - ie the base width with pump etc.. From there you can decide where the baffles need to go.. Once you get all those pieces you can then look at the space needed and adjust accordingly.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Yes, I did plan on getting a skimmer...but I was thinking that was something we said I could wait a bit on?? I am wanting to get going on this...and it is driving me nuts, having this tank that I really can't add much to at the time. I was thinking when I go to get more LR, I could pick up the tank...then get started on making the Fuge, from there you know, just taking steps at a time here.

BTW, yes the tank is a regular 55 and 48"L...but the stand has legs that may effect the size...I'm not sure I can fit it...although it would be nice.

Hey, I have another question though....should the power heads be REALLY strong? I replaced one that wasn't working on the tank, this new one is just mad fast coming out. I will be replacing both eventually...(yes, I know I should of bought the one I was planning) but this one wasn't working and it drove me nuts and I just picked one up at Wal-Mart while I was there (hey just be proud I didn't come home with another betta!)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well think of it like this.. If you have a FO tank your total gph turnover should be 10 x the number of gallons of the tank.. If you have a FOWLR between 15x to 20x and Reef (this is debatable as many are increasing their flow) to betwen 20x and 60x. You don't have to "buy" the skimmer but get the dimensions of the one you will plan on eventually buying and then allow at least that much space for the skimmer area.

As far as the tank stand goes.. I thought you had conned nick into building you one ;)

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Well think of it like this.. If you have a FO tank your total gph turnover should be 10 x the number of gallons of the tank.. If you have a FOWLR between 15x to 20x and Reef (this is debatable as many are increasing their flow) to betwen 20x and 60x. You don't have to "buy" the skimmer but get the dimensions of the one you will plan on eventually buying and then allow at least that much space for the skimmer area.

As far as the tank stand goes.. I thought you had conned nick into building you one ;)
Ok, yes I see what you are saying...I am looking at things I am going to need now...so I will look at skimmers to while I am just to get an idea of what I am looking for.

LOL!! Yea, I don't think that deal went through!!

Can you give me some ideas of what I am going to need in my Fuge? Like bio-balls, micro algae, ect???

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well thats why I was saying what do you want to use the fuge for.. I personally like the idea of using then to hide all that miscellaneous hardware personally.. Now that I have a tank with one I don't see all of those "unsightly" pieces of equipment in my tank or hanging off the back. If I could figure out how to "hide" the powerheads and everything else I'd go that route as well.

So yeah you can get a HOB if you want but again its going to be what you want to do. I personally have never really looked at those skimmers and I have an ASM G3, but if I ever have to replace it I'll probably get an octopus recirc 110 (thats the one I've been looking at). There seems to be quite a few people that I have chatted with that recommend them as the biggest bang for the buck.. But I would get others suggestions as well. If you want to look at what they have to offer here is their website.

http://www.octopusskimmer.com/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store