peaceful cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snow1576

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
New York
Hi, I would like to add some peaceful cichlids in my community 65 gal tank. Which ones would be ok in there if any? My current stock is in my signature.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
other than rams, which you already have, other peaceful cichlids could be something like Laetacara curviceps or apistos. Festivums and jurupari are peaceful, but better off in bigger tanks.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
could also consider kribensis - they may have issues with the rams though.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
nope. they're mbuna from lake malawi and while considered as peaceful specimens this is so only relative to other mbuna. they would most likely shred the current occupants of the 65g. mbuna aggression is a very specific behavioural trait in these fish and only fish which can react accordingly would stand a chance, i.e. other african rift lake cichlids in a carefully planned and maintained large tank.

they also have quite different water parameter preferences but this is a secondary issue.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
GBRs,Laetacara dorsigerus or curviceps, and apistos.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
nope. they're mbuna from lake malawi and while considered as peaceful specimens this is so only relative to other mbuna. they would most likely shred the current occupants of the 65g. mbuna aggression is a very specific behavioural trait in these fish and only fish which can react accordingly would stand a chance, i.e. other african rift lake cichlids in a carefully planned and maintained large tank.

they also have quite different water parameter preferences but this is a secondary issue.
The "Electric Blue" Ahli is actually a Hap from Lake Malawi. Coler is right, neither will work.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
The "Electric Blue" Ahli is actually a Hap from Lake Malawi. Coler is right, neither will work.
entirely correct - didn't even process the ref to an electric blue but it is indeed a halplochromine and not a mbuna.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store