on keeping clown fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
I plan on changing my 10g to a salt tank, all I want in there is a percula clown, I've wanted one for years, now I'm goin to have it

I already have the basic all glass aquarium hood and light on there, so obviously I won't be keeping any corals

my question is this:

I plan to do the live rock/sand thing for filtration

since I dont 'plan on having any corals, will the live rock just sit there and be, well a big rock, or will stuff grow on it?

AND with this regular light that I bought for the 26.99 at the pet store, is there anything that will grow on the LR with that light?

sorry if these are stupid beginner ?'s but I'm this close (makes motion with fingers indicating less than one half inch) to buying my salt and sand and rock, I just need to iron out these last few kinks

thanks if you can help

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are several kinds of hard algae which will do fine in lower light levels. Try to get live rock that has lots of color, and sponges. Sponges actually prefer lower light levels, so you might try getting a few small ones and seeing how they do. Many mushrooms will be fine at lower light as well--look for ones that don't have green coloration. Same thing for polyps--sun polyps, buttons, and brown don't need high light levels. You will need to feed them--invert foods are pretty common, but costly. Some will take prepared frozen foods (like the fish food Formula One) as well.

One other thing to consider with corals, aside from light needs, is space...Many are very competetive and will kill neighbors off. Mushrooms are in this group--if you get them, and they do well--I wouldn't add anything else.

Lots of the stuff on LR will be fine in low light. Just be careful to watch for die off, since it can cause an ammonia spike that would be lethal in a small tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store