Firebelly toads.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flapper12

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
Temple, Texas
Hey everybody. I have a empty 29gal and I think I finally know what I'm going to do with it. At first I was thinking dwarf puffers but there is a pretty nice chip in the glass around the top on the edge(where the seam is) and I'm scared if I fill it up with water I will end up with 29gal's of water everywhere on the floor and a few dead puffers. Well I was looking and noticed something about firebelly toads and I've been dieing to do a vivarium, and thought this would be the perfect thing for them. I need some info on them and the cost of the items I will be purchasing(if you don't want to post the cost its fine, I will do research on my dads computer that actually lets me click on the stuff I google).
Will gravel be a fine substrate, I've read some stuff that they can swallow it so now I'm stumped on what to get lol. So what will work? I think I'm going to seperate the tank or do something that somebody else did, use turtle ramps for the land area, I think this is a great idea so then I will have a lot of water. What would yall personally do about this? I think the filter I'm going to get is the whisper in-tank filter 40i. I might make some sort of water fall with it but I don't know yet. Do I need a heater, if so I already have one that I bought for the tank originally, if not I can just use it for a 55gal that me and my mom both want.
Thanks for the info in advance!
P.S. sorry for such a long subject.

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
In my toad tank I just used larger pebbels (probably 1/2 inch) for the substrate..the stuff that is used for playgrounds, along with some larger rocks, so then there are no worries about swallowing the gravel. If you really want to go with the gravel, then concider getting a carpet of java moss to prevent swallowing, but I would personally recommend going for larger rocks. The turtle ramp sounds interesting, I've never thought of that before. You can also divide the tank by siliconing a divider in, or by putting a container of sorts in for either the wet or dry, so that it is easier to clean. On the land side, consider plants, moss, or bark chips. Make sure that they have places to hide (ie. decorations, plants, rock caves). As for heater, the toads usually do fine at room temp, but if you are located in a cold place (like me), you may want to consider- the temp range should be around 68-78 degrees. Keep these guys clean, their toxins can build up in the water, definently get the filter on.
basic info links: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/frogsandtoads/a/orientalfbtoads.htm
http://www.grizzlyrun.com/Pets/Amphibians/Frogs/Fire_Bellied_Toad_Care_Information/Default.htm

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I think the best way is to separate it off with plexiglass/glass and silicone, if you feel like doing it.
I use river rock for my land, the only bad part is that crickets get inbetween then, but i guess the come out at night because they end up eating them all somehow.
I had a turtle ramp before but it wasnt very study and just kept sinking so I just bought the rocks and this wall thing and made land with that.
Their fine at room temp so you wont need a heater. and i have a fluval 2 plus filter i think thats what its called.

heres my old 20 gallon...

and my 10 gallon i have now, kind of the same thing but smaller lol

flapper12

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
Temple, Texas
Thanks for the info Andi. Like the setup Firebelly, thanks for the info.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Firebelly_girl's setup is really good!

pixieoak

Registered Member
May 1, 2008
Hi,
I have some firebelly toads and they are all fine but one. :( He's twisted round to the side and keeps spinning round in circles and floating upside down. I've seperated him from the others but don't know what's wrong. Any ideas?
Amy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store