Fiddler Crabs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GermanMusician

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2008
Hi,
I just joined this forum today, because I wanted to learn about my new purchase of fiddler crabs...
I bought 6 - two males, and 4 females - and placed them in what I believe to be a 25-gallon tank. I researched a little bit before purchasing them, learning that they are brackish, even though pet stores keep them in freshwater and will tell you that they are in freshwater (this was exactly the case at PetLand). They were also submerged in water, but I knew to put sloped gravel, plants, or large rocks in their tank so that their exoskeleton does not weaken. I bought aquarium salt, then read that it was freshwater aquarium salt (I thought this was a paradox, but then learned that it's to aid in the introduction of new fish and to help the safety of the water...)
Then, I read that aquarium salt is NOT what I want, rather marine salt.

Also, since the whole filter thing will not work out, I decided to buy a mystery snail. Is this bad?

Is there anything else I should know, anything I should change?

Thank you so much!

These are both pictures of my cage setup. Tips or general comments?:huh:

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Do you mean you bought a snail instead of a filter? If so, yes, that is bad. A filter brings the tank water to a sponge and removes debris and detritus, then sends the cleaned water back into the tank, also adding oxygen.

A snail eats leftover food (which the fiddlers will get before it does) and pieces of dead plants (which there are none of). And it creates waste.

There are major differences between the 2.

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
The higher salinity level required for brackish may hurt or kill your snail. Leave the mystery snail in a full fresh tank, and put the fiddlers in a brackish tank. They'll also need access to fresh water, and land.

tootie123

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
They may be able to live underwater for a few weeks maybe even a couple of months, but they will have a shorter life. Whatever they might tell you at the store purchase marine salt instead of aquarium salt. They need a species only tank as they may eat any other tank mates not of their species. Below is a list of items you'll need for their setup.

tank (5g minimum)
heater (keep the water around 75-82F)
filter (you can purchase a canister filter)
sand (some have said pool filter sand or play sand is ok)
marine salt (not aquarium salt)
hydrometer (used to measure salinity of water)
thermometer
food (crab food with calcium helps them when molting)
water dechlorinator
secure lid (they have been know to wonder out of their homes)
decorations (they are optional, but make the tank look good)

When purchasing your fiddler crabs look for ones that are active. Dont house to many males in one setup or they will fight till only one is left. Males have a one large claw and a small claw. Females have two small claws. They like to climb so make sure that your lid on your aquarium is secure. You should setup the tank before you purchase the crabs. And I've been told that you have to wait at least 3-4 days after mixing the salt and adding it to the tank before you can get your crabs. The crabs will molt every now and then, but dont remove the molt as they will eat it for calcium. If it is not eaten after a few days you then can remove it. You can feed them ghost shrimp as they have calcium, but some have told me that their crabs leave them alone. You'll have to do water changes also.

GermanMusician

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2008
Ooh... and another question -
For about 5-6 Gallons of water, roughly how much marine salt should I put in when I buy it? I'm sure the directions will let me know the proportions for salt water, but will they tell me for brackish?

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
You'll need a hydrometer to calculate salinity levels of water. 1.010 should be good.

It kinda depends. Each time I mix up water for my crabs, I have to be careful because it's easy to over salt the water. :( I hate wasting expensive marine salt...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store