Trumpet coral not fully expanding..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
I have noticed that my trumpet coral is not expanding as much as it used to... One of the two heads that i have is definitely splitting, so could that be a reason for it not opening as much as it used to? Also, at night, their little tentacles used to come out a lot, but i noticed last night, that they didn't come out at all.

I have been dosing b-ionic 2 part for about 10 days now... Could this be irritating the coral? The trumpet coral is the only one showing some stress..

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Even when mine is splitting it still expands so I don't really see that as being a reason. You know what comes next - what are your parameters? Do you feed it? Where is it placed in your tank with regard to current and lighting?

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
K,

parameters:

temp - 80
ammo - 0
trites - 0
trates - 0
calc - 360 (trying to get it up)
alk - 7 dkh (trying to get it up)

lighting hasn't been a problem, it has looked good for about a month before this last week. it is under 156 watts of t5s halfway vertically in the tank.

flow though has been changed. i did a little rearranging of the powerheads (for my new sps) so the trumpet isn't getting as much flow as it used to... that might be an issue.

Im going to be ordering a new koralia 1 here shortly.. I guess i will see if that helps.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I'm not one for preaching from books but most do say that they prefer moderate current. I'd personally say moderate to high. I say I don't preach from books because they also say the don't like bright lights but mine is place right at the top near a 150w halide and is flourishing!!!! Mine is also sat between two Koralia #4's!!! Maybe try to place it a bit more into the current and see how that goes. Yes your calc and alk are low but I wouldn't say detrimentally low. I'm assuming it's not too close to any other corals that could be upsetting it. I have noticed your other thread about dosing but I've never done it so I can't comment on that bit.

HTH

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Well, it looks much better already...

I re adjusted one of my powerheads, and it just slightly increased the amount of flow...

Like i can see the water moving nicely past the trumpet coral, and the heads occasionally have a hint of movement to them...

I think this will be a good amount of flow, even though it is probably a little on the low side for this specific coral...

I will monitor it and see how it does.

CPD - how often does yours split?

Also, another factor that might have had something to do with it... I fed it a ton of mysis like 3 nights in a row... Maybe its tummy was a little upset..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store