220g New Start

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sy229

"Did someone say fish for Dinner?"
Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
Hello Everyone!

I actually joined AC and began posting last month in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. Before long I realized I mistakenly began my photo journal in the wrong forum. So for those of you who may have been following along there, my ongoing misadventures will continue in this thread. For those of you who may have missed my initial posts, you may want to follow the link in my signature block to catch the early entries.

And with that, on with the journey...

When I left off I had just received the 3D background I ordered from Chip at Aquarium Habitats (pic). This is the Pangea "Rocky IV" background which measures 72" x 23.5". I must say I think it looks better in person than the pictures suggest.

There are several things to work out with a background this size, including how to get it into the tank, properly securing it, and keeping the water circulating throughout to keep the fishies happy.

The first problem to resolve was the height. My tank is a 30" tall, so my background was going to need a 'boost'. My first try was with a cut-to-length 3.5" vinyl fence post from Lowes (pic). The idea was that the post will not only boost up the background, but with some holes and PVC passed through could also serve as an undergravel pass-through for front-to-back circulation. However, the 3.5" stock I bought didn't raise the background enough, so now I'm re-doing my measurements to determine whether a 5" post will fit. More to follow...

IMG_2146a.jpg IMG_2153a.jpg

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Agreed - awesome looking stand. Did you build it? If not where did you pick it up?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Daaang, thats going to be one sweet setup!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
wow !!!!! that background will be terrific! I love it, but why didn't you have him make it to fit? love the stand, can not wait to see it all together.

Sy229

"Did someone say fish for Dinner?"
Dec 12, 2007
Central Florida
wow !!!!! that background will be terrific! I love it, but why didn't you have him make it to fit? love the stand, can not wait to see it all together.
The 'standard' background size is designed for a 24" tall tank, so I've got to improvise a little, but I think I can still make it work fine. I'm hoping to make more progress this weekend, with pictures to follow.

I bought the tank, stand, and other equipment used from a local enthusiast. The Cherry stand was a real selling point. I believe it's a commercially-built unit, but I don't know the manufacturer.

david13latham

AC Members
Jan 8, 2008
Great set up man. Ill be looking forward to the results. I as well as everyone else is in love with that stand, the color is great. I am soon doing a DIY stand and maybe match that color or close to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store