New 20L set up - looking for advise/how-to

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
hello all you salties out here.

as my title states, I think I want to turn my unused 20Long into a salt environment. Can you offer some advise on how to get it going? I am used to freshwater and definately entering uncharted territory with SW.

I know I would like to have some coral (not sure about the livliness of it) so I can get some anomeas (can't spell either). shrimps and some small fishies.

I'll gladly accept all advise.

Thx

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
OR a 29 octogon

now that I think about it...I have a 29 octogon as well. Not sure of floor space on that one compared to the the 20 long though.

bowser7of9

Bowser
Nov 16, 2007
Victoria, BC Canada
I was in the same boat as you not that long ago and this site really helped out. Start by reading all the stickies on this site for the newbies and others. That was really good for me to get a grip on what to do.

My best advice would be to figure out just what you want your tank to contain and then figure out what you need as equipment. Some creatures, like anemones rerquire a mature tank with stable water chemistry so you might want to hold off on that option, but think of what it needs (light) when you do your set-up.

Good luck and keep us informed.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
I know I would like to have some coral (not sure about the livliness of it) so I can get some anomeas (can't spell either). shrimps and some small fishies.
I'm confused here. You don't need corals to have shrimp or fish. I think maybe you're confusing live rock with coral, not sure.

This was my 20L after it was only set up for a couple of months.

The light on it is a 96watt coralife. I had A LOT more growth than in that pic after it was set up awhile. I really wish I woulda taken pics right before I moved everything. That's why I decided to move everything to a 50g, the tank became kind of constraining as far as aquascaping goes. I personally think a 20L is a pretty good size to start with though.
The live rock is all the filtration that was on it, about 25-30lbs (I was planning on a skimmer before I decided I was just gonna upgrade to a bigger tank...but the water parameters were good without one).
I really suggest you use distilled water or RO/DI water or else you will probably have algae problems. That's part of the reason you see a little bit of red cyano down in the sand, I started out using tapwater. After changing over to distilled that stuff went away.
I would also suggest koralia pumps over powerheads if you can afford them. I always had problems with powerheads falling off and then they suck in sand and stop running, or blow your sand everywhere at the least. They also have kind of hard flow so it makes it a little difficult to position corals where they're not just get hammered.
You won't be able to have many fish in a 20L but you can definately have a lot of little soft corals, mushrooms, polyps...stuff like that. I wouldn't personally do anemones, they can be touchy and they also produce quite a bit of waste.

Anyway, hope that gives you just a little inspiration for your own tank. Good luck :)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Not sure why this got moved to the DIY thread.....interesting....

yes...I may be mixing up coral with live rock. I think. aren't they the same? maybe?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I know I would like to have some coral (not sure about the livliness of it)
I don't understand the question about the livliness. Could you ask again?

so I can get some anomeas (can't spell either).
I'd avoid these in a 20g tank

shrimps and some small fishies.
Ok, which ones do you like? Or do you need some ideas of what is available? I recommend the book Reef Aquarium Fishes by Scott W. Michael, get the blue cover edition as it is more up to date and full of useful information not found in the earlier white edition.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
sry ... by livliness .. i was trying to refer to live coral as opposed to just picking up pieces in a FS.

my starter tank options are either a 20long or a 29octogon.

as for stocking...I'm not looking for mass numbers. I would like the tank to have some anemone with clowns, some cleaner shrimps and maybe a couple other smaller fish.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well as someone else mentioned, live coral is different from live rock. Could you re-phrase the question and let us know if you mean coral or rock as well?

Again, I recommend agaist attempting an anemone in a nano tank. In a 20g I'd stick with 2-3 SMALL non-active fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store