tankmates for red tail/rainbow shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

timinny

AC Members
Nov 4, 2007
i want one for my 55 but dont know what i can put with it, thanks
tim

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
I had a rainbow shark and it did well with my tetras and gold barbs however it tends to be territorial and chases them just for the heck of it. Cute fish and also likes to nibble on algae.

timinny

AC Members
Nov 4, 2007
dident get one but want to they look great, just want to be able to stock other fish i like with it thanks guys \ gals

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Fast moving fish like cherry barbs, tiger barbs, gold barbs, white/black skirt tetras, congo tetras, danios, giant danios, and harlequin rasboras are all compatible, as long as it can't fit the cherries or danios in it's mouth. Bottom dwelling fish are usually not reccomended because of the red tailed's very territorial disposition.

slthoeny

AC Members
Feb 25, 2006
I currently have my 5 inch rainbow shark with tiger barbs and skunk loaches. They all are doing very well currently. The rainbow has his area, but he hides more than chases. Of course when I am not here I am not sure what he does. But he leaves no evidence of bothering his tankmates.

fishfamily

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
New London, MN
55 planted. I have my red tail with skirt tetra, neons, platies, mollies, danios, cories, bn pleco, cherry shrimp, snails, CAE, koi swordtails. He likes to chase once in awhile but usually just the CAE. Never really bothers any of them. He must be about 4 inches by now. Cool to sit and watch. Oh yeah Dwarf Gourmias too.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I have my 3 inch red tail (still young obviously) in with a mated pair of paradise fish, 5 cherry barbs, 2 L. guntea (dojo like loaches) and a clown pleco.

It's a 33 gallon 36" long heavily planted tank. The paradise fish are by far and away the dominant fish in the tank.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store