Locating a shop with healthy stock in So. Cal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gpaaib

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Irvine, California
This message is directed to any and all members in the So. Cal. area that might be able to tell me where there is a dealer(s) in the Orange County, California area that sells healthy stock and has a lot of knowledge with African Cichlids/Mbunas.

Thanks!

Gary

x0x0x0

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Inland Empire, Cali
good Luck on this. I know a person/importer that has a store in Moreno Valley, but lives in LA who is very knowledgeable about his fish, but you'd have to buy it from him in order to get the best of his stock. His name is Ajay.

As for stores, they're hard to come by, because they have to have a general knowledge of all the fish in the store and unless it's mbuna or rift lake cichlids that they specialize in, then you'll get general info about them. Good Luck on your search though.

I go to La Habra to a store called Discount Tropical Fish, sometimes the stock the cichlid stock they have is in great condition (usually when they get them on wednesdays) but sometimes you'll end up with bad ones. Just try to get the fish on the day that they receive their shipments.

gpaaib

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Irvine, California
good Luck on this. I know a person/importer that has a store in Moreno Valley, but lives in LA who is very knowledgeable about his fish, but you'd have to buy it from him in order to get the best of his stock. His name is Ajay.

As for stores, they're hard to come by, because they have to have a general knowledge of all the fish in the store and unless it's mbuna or rift lake cichlids that they specialize in, then you'll get general info about them. Good Luck on your search though.

I go to La Habra to a store called Discount Tropical Fish, sometimes the stock the cichlid stock they have is in great condition (usually when they get them on wednesdays) but sometimes you'll end up with bad ones. Just try to get the fish on the day that they receive their shipments.
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah this store actually has most of a row of tanks dedicated to Cichlids. Everything from new born to full grown. I talked with the owner for almost an hour. When talking to him he would relate everything to how the fish live in the wild. Everything seemed to make sense.

Can you give me a little more info on Ajay? I wonder just how far Moreno Valley is from South Orange County?

Gary

x0x0x0

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Inland Empire, Cali
sorry took a while to get back but, ajay imports a lot of lake tanganyika cichlids as well as some rarer species like madagascar cichlids. I don't know of many madagascar cichlid owners around SoCal.

Moval would be a little more than an hour from Irvine. I live in Corona and it takes me a little more than an hour to drive to his home in LA. Don't visit his store in Moreno Valley. (i think that's where he keeps his rejects lol i didn't say that).

The ones he keeps in stock in his warehouse and home are in much better condition. You'll find him on Cichlid-forum(dot)com He posts a lot of his fish on sale in the trading post section. Just tell him Owen referred you. I would give you his number, but I think it's best if you talked to him first beforehand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store