for african cichlids: slate vs lava rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i was going to get slate for my tank, but i've been thinking lately about going with lava rock instead because it seems cooler. which do you use and what are the benefits?

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I avoid rough rocks because they inevitably end up scraping up fish. In my 150 I have one structure that is slate stacked with PVC T-connectors spacing them out. Smooth rocks are more natural to the biotope anyways (Lake Malawi at least, which I am assuming).

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
ok. but will they enjoy lava rock as much as slate in i get rocks with like "caves" in them?

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I agree with reptileguy the smoother the better, but if I had to pick between the 2, and this is my personal preference I'd go with lava rock rather than slate (no personal experience with it, I use river/cobble stones in mine, but from what I've seen alot of malawi tanks have lava piles in them and fish seem to be doing fine), for 2 reasons, there's a greater surface for algae that mbuna will eventually be eating and you can make bigger caves with larger rounder rocks, you can also stack them as high as you want, pretty much to the surface if you have enough lava rock.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If the slate is setup right it can be just as good as lava rock. Smoother 'carved' rocks (with the holes in them) are as good but less likely to cause any scrapes.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
the problem with slate is that it is just so expensive! i mean i am going to RCP sometime this week, but from what i was told by the guy who sold me my tank, lava is cheeper for what you get from it.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
They are usualy about the same price. Problem with lava is there really isnt much extra surface area for algae, but the surface is much rougher than what they would be grazing on in the wild, so their mouths are not tough enough to be eating off such a rough rock.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
You can buy slate tile in different sizes from Home Depot or Lowes fairly cheap...Then you can stack it as is or break it up to form caves and such. Here is a pic of a 29g my wife is cycling for a pair of Convicts.... Cost about $25 tax and all for the slate tiles...We bought 4" and 6" ones....Most place we have looked at want like $2 a lb for slate and ours weighed alot more than 12-13lbs. Plus these have smooth edges and we can restack them any which way we want too if we get tired of how they look.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
that is a beautiful design, but just. . . idk. . . i guess i will see when i go to RCP what to get. . . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store