Kribensis and Rainbow Shark: Will they fight for territory?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
My Kribensis is currently being housed in a 5 gallon Hexagon shaped tank with a Rainbow Shark, 2 Ghost Shrimp, and a Blue Dwarf Gourami. Are any of these fish compatible? I know I must've screwed up, since my Shark and Kribensis are both injured. I am currently treating the tank with Melafix. If they are not, will the Kribensis be compatible with an Angelfish, a Senegal Bichir, a Red Dwarf Gourami, an Elephant Nose, and a Striped Peacock Eel in a 120 gallon tank? The Bichir is young and I'm probably going to donate him to my LFS. Thanks for any help!

mcmillins

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
we had our kribinis in with our cichlids in a 185g & he was getting torn up. He is now in with our tetras in a 125g & is one of the most docile fish in the tank. I dont know about your rainbow shark though.

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I would say that the tank would be too small and they would fight for territory. Sharks are usually aggressive, and the Kribensis are most likely to become aggressive towards other fishes if a pair is breeding. Most of the time, the kribs are docile.

Also, depending on the individual fishes themselves, they might be aggressive with certain fishes. For example, my female albino kribensis killed my red male betta and most of my guppies (semi-fancy hybrids). It is not usually the case that the krib would attack a surface-dwelling fish, but it did. While, my other kribs (regular colouration) have only seem to attack the other fishes when they were breeding, and some Emperor Tetras... Usually, they would fight against bottom-dwellers more than the surface-dwellers.

I would say that the cause of the fighting would be linked with the size of the tank, then secondly, if they are incompatible.

As for the other tank, the krib might be fine with the angelfish and the gourami. But, I'm not quite sure with the other fishes in the tank.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My Kribensis is currently being housed in a 5 gallon Hexagon shaped tank with a Rainbow Shark, 2 Ghost Shrimp, and a Blue Dwarf Gourami. Are any of these fish compatible? I know I must've screwed up, since my Shark and Kribensis are both injured. I am currently treating the tank with Melafix. If they are not, will the Kribensis be compatible with an Angelfish, a Senegal Bichir, a Red Dwarf Gourami, an Elephant Nose, and a Striped Peacock Eel in a 120 gallon tank? The Bichir is young and I'm probably going to donate him to my LFS. Thanks for any help!
Honestly, that is too small for all of those fish. Both the rainbows and kribs will become increasingly aggressive when cramped like that. The would be more combatible when in a much larger space but it is hard to tell to which degree of aggression they will go to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store