DIY Co2 on nano (2.5-3g) tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Choco

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
I plan to make a DIY Co2 system for a small planted 3 gallon tank..

most of the articles I've read on DIY Co2 suggest using 2L bottles (2-3 of them connected) to give sufficient Co2 to the aquarium. However, those articles all seem to be aimed at standard or larger tank (30gallon +-)

So, if I am doing the DIY Co2 on a 3gallon tank, how big of a container should I use, and what proportion mixtures would be good.

Do you guys have any other suggestion on injecting Co2 in a 3g tank other thank using the DIY yeast bottle method? (i.e. would it be better/easier if I just add chemical containing carbon like once a day?)

Tank will have flourite black substarte, hairgrass, glosso/riccia/hc carpet plant (undecided). I will be using a 27W daylight compact fluorescent bulb 10-14hr per day.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I use a 2L on my 10gal, I'd probably do the same for a 3gal. My recipe is 2c sugar, 1/4tsp yeast, warm water up to within 2" of the bottlecap. I use a hagen bubble ladder for diffusion. The other thing to look into is Flourish Excel, its a liquid carbon supplement and might be less of a hassle on a tank that small.

Choco

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
is the flourish excel a good source of Co2?

For a 3g tank, I need only 1ml daily of excel. Can plant like glosso grow well with just Co2 from excel + a lot of lighting?

It seems like a much better/easier/cheaper solution than doing the DIY yeast Co2 method, but would a few drop of excel a day gives enough Co2?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've never used it but I've heard it recommended several times for people with smaller tanks. One small bottle wouldn't be that expensive so it might be worth a shot.

Manzanitadude

The driftwood guy
Dec 22, 2007
Northern Arizona
I would do both Excel and DIY CO2 for real good results. You can use the 2l soda bottles without harming anything. I would set up only one to begin with, and have another one ready to go in a week when the other one starts to drop in CO2 production. Also, I would suggest starting out with a photoperiod of 5-6 hours with bright lights until your tank gets to growing good.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
I agree with above comments, only 1 2L, and ive never used EXCEL either but alot of folks like it and use it with DIY, and with getting a spare bottle ready.

I use a 2L on my planted "jungle" of a 5g. it works well. Im not running 9wpg like you. Only 5.2wpg but it grows pretty good. I also found I'd had a hew leaks the whole time. Fixin that today. So make sure you get the seal right.

Post some pics please.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store