wrasse questions.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I have had a wrasse before, but never with a live sand bottom.
When i put him in the tank....not too long after i couldn't find 'em anywhere. Yes, yes i know. under the sand.

that i know now.....
question is:

if, and hopefully not, the wrasse dies, what are the chances of the wrasse dying under sand and me not knowing.

comment if any experience with this....
thanks

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
FYI, if this is a true coris wrasse, it was so cheap because it gets plenty huge.

No experience with this possibility, but I've never heard of anything similar happening to people who keep these species of wrasse.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
i've had it happen at the LFS that i work at. we've "lost" some wrasse only to have them turn up dead later when rearraging the sand in the tank. so yes it is a possibility, but i'd just try to keep track of it during feeding time and investigate if you aren't seeing it for a few days. i hope it doesn't come to that though.

Water World

AC Members
Jul 30, 2001
Galrand, TX
Makai: What type of wrasse do you have. I have found that this is quite a large family. I current have a 6 line wrasse and a Lime green wrasse. The cool thing about the Lime green (other than his color) is that when the light go off and he goes to bed he digs under the sand. I've watched him with a flash light. Next morning he has emerged ready to eat. Needs less to say my "pod" population is next to nil with both wrasses and shrimp don't fair much better. Defiantly do some research on what type you have and what his habits are. HTH's

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
i have a female pencil or smalltail wrasse about 3" long........
had a adult red coris....found it dead this morning....on top of the sand thank goodness.
pencil is doing fine though.
had to train my lady on feeding though....i leave for work at 8:30a.m. and do not get home till 7:15p.m. during the week.
i have my lights timed to go on at 9:00a.m. and off at 9:00p.m.

I don't get to see her in the morning and by 7:30 she under the sand......i have joint custody with my girlfriend...i only see that fish on weekends.......hope she makes it......

girlfriend tells me she likes the frozen brine and also picks of the LR

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store