hybrids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
what cichlids will make hybrids? The only reason I ask is that I want to avoid this. the only fish I have that are sexually mature at this jucture are a GT and a con, male gt female con. I have a male jack that is still small and a couple of male firemouths. I think the con is gaurding some eggs as she is defending a cave like her life depended on it. I know mixing red devil/midas with severum, what else is there, and under what conditions do cichlid hybridize?

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Your fish are alright. None of your fish that mentioned here can breed with the Con, well, none that I heard of.

Blood Parrot can breed with either Midas/Red Devil/Severum. Black and Pearl Cons cross breed. Read that it is better not to do that. Same goes with Blue and Standard Dempseys. I just read an article by Paul Loiselle that Carpinte (Green Texas Cichlid) and Cyanoguttatus (Texas Cichlid) cross breed but to achieve it is hard. Standard Firemouth (Meeki) and Aureus can cross breed but like Texas Cichlid, hard to achieve.

If I find more information, I will let you know.

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
Blue Jack Dempeys are not hybrids, they are just fish that are line bred to bring out the recessive blue genes.

You can probably get hybrids of just about any SA/CA cichlids. I've seen a lot of posts on http://www.predatoryfish.net/ forums about people having all kinds of weird mixes.

Please be responsible fishkeepers, if you end up crossbreeding fish do NOT sell them or give them away unless the other party explicitly understands that they are not purebred fish. Or someday it will be impossible to get reliable identification of storebought or tankraised fish. I know I don't want to have to buy wild caught fish just to be sure what I have in my tank.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
This is exactly what I am trying to avoid Darth.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by DarthV
Blue Jack Dempeys are not hybrids, they are just fish that are line bred to bring out the recessive blue genes.

You can probably get hybrids of just about any SA/CA cichlids. I've seen a lot of posts on http://www.predatoryfish.net/ forums about people having all kinds of weird mixes.
I didn't say they (Blue Dempsey) are hybrids. I'm saying they can cross breed. Why would you want to cross breed between a Blue Dempsey and a Standard Dempsey. Why not try to keep all the fish pure?

Last edited:

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
Cross breeding is to get 2 seperate species to produce offspring. Regular JDs and blue ones are of the same species...so if you breed the 2 together, it is not crossbreeding. Same with pink and black convicts...same species, different color morph.

You can get pretty muc any new world cichlid to cross with another new world. It just would be a matter of patience and luck...not sure if you could get a labiatus to cross with an acara naturally (have to be one mean acara!), but it can be done with human interference.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by DarthV
Cross breeding is to get 2 seperate species to produce offspring. Regular JDs and blue ones are of the same species...so if you breed the 2 together, it is not crossbreeding. Same with pink and black convicts...same species, different color morph.

You can get pretty muc any new world cichlid to cross with another new world. It just would be a matter of patience and luck...not sure if you could get a labiatus to cross with an acara naturally (have to be one mean acara!), but it can be done with human interference.
OK...wrong choice of words, "cross breed". My point is that they can breed, but better not to.

Like you said, unless it is done with human interference. Even SA/CA cichlids don't necessary will breed together being in the same tank. After reading a few articles by Paul Loiselle, I found out that Texas Cichlid and Carpinte are the same group, yet they don't breed together. Both of these fishes were in the same tank, but the ripe female Carpinte rather court a male Salvini than the male Texas Cichlid. Salvini either was ignoring the Carpinte or didn't catch the intention.

Also, another reason not all CA/SA cichlids will breed naturally because they all have different courting behavior. Even if Dave's female Con was signaling the Male GT, doesn't mean the GT catch the hint.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I think that she does signal him, she constantly chases and swims around him with her gills flared and he ignores her. She is building a nest too. I watched her making a pit last night. I thought she already had eggs they way she was defending her cave, but she just dug the pit so I guess they will come soon.

Last edited:

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
As long as the GT ignores her, you are alright. If you think it isn't safe, divide the Female Con and the Male GT. If you can move the Con...that will help.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
She has only nipped him a few times since I got her, and the violent squabbles have always been over food. I think she is getting the point that he doesnt want her. But she sure does want him. The strange thing about the whole deal is that I could swear she is starting to get a hump.... I didnt know that females could do this. Is this whats happening or am I crazy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store