230 Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Last Monday (1/7/08) I finally :headbang2: began construction of my 230 gal project. I started with the framing of my prospective basement filtration room. I completed the hanging the drywall yesterday. <see pics> I hope to begin construction of the actual show tank’s stand within the next couple days.

The tank will be positioned as a room divider of sorts, in a Peninsula fashion, located between a relatively quiet, i.e. no TV, living room and an eat-in kitchen area.

The plumbing will all go through the flooring into the filtration room (pictured) in the basement below and a 125 gal sump (minus refugium area).

To finally be working on the project at a serious pace is wonderful. I am doing just about everything DIY. The only thing I am completely unsure about is lighting. We have three children, so I definitely want a full canopy.

The two barrels, 50 gallons and 30 gallons respectively, depicted on the left of a couple of the pics, are full of 250-300 lbs of cured Live Rock waiting patiently for their new home upstairs.

I plan to post new pics on this thread as my project progresses. Please feel free to send me any friendly advice or lessons learned.

I think I will require the most support during the plumbing phase. I am confident I can run the pipe, but I am unclear how to manage (balance) the flow. I have never had a sump at all, let a lone a tank this size.

Two nights ago I made a 1:1 scale template <see below pic> of my tank (overhead perspective). I plan to use the template to help guide me through the stand making process, which will hopefully begin tomorrow evening. Especially when I drill holes in the stand top to accommodate the various drill holes and associated bulkhead fittings.

Filtration Room 005 (compressed).JPG Filtration Room 008 (compressed).JPG Filtration Room 009 (compressed).jpg Tank Template 002 (compressed).JPG

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very cool.. Will watch will enthusiasm.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Clown-lover,

Thanks - This was the first Aquatics board on which I ever posted. :)

I have gained much in the way of insight and opinion over the past 5-years. I feel it is my turn to give back with this, almost exclusive, DIY project. Or, at the least, vent my frustrations. :wall:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well its all about the experience isn't it.. I would never have attempted to do what I'm about to do either if it wasn't for my fish tank.. I don't have the facilities to build a fish room like you, but I am planning on a self contained cabinet that hopefully one day will also accommodate a 125 gallon tank instead of the 75.

I think your project is a little more in-depth however. ;)

As far as balancing the flow it is going to be the same whether you have a sump directly underneath the tank vs a floor down. You are going to have to find a pump and calculate the head loss in feet from your pump to your output. You'll want to minimize the angles it has to travel as every turn or junction in the pipe will decrease the flow. You'll also want to install gate valves in the overflow and return system to adjust the flow accordingly. With your 230 your probably going to want an overflow that is going to do at least 1200 gph or better. Someone with a larger tank I'm sure will chime in on that part.

With my own system I have a ball valves on the return just in case of emergency so I can shut things down if I have to very easily. But realistically this valve is wide open all of the time. I have a t-junction in that pipe running into my fuge with a ball valve to take up any excess flow between my overflow and my return pump. I just adjust the ball valve to balance the flow going to my tank vs the flow going to my sump.

With my overflow however I had to put a ball valve in there as well because if I didn't I ended up with microbubbles everywhere because to much oxygen was getting into the line.

But you'll end up doing a lot of testing before you actually go live with it I expect or you may end up with a flood. :(

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Very cool! Rudy you might consider using the new blog pages here, makes it easy to update a log and search for items.
Hmnh - Interesting. I have never used, or even read for that matter, a Blog format? I'll have to investigate. :help:

Thanks for the advice

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Some of you likely find these pictures rather boring, and I usually agree. ;)

Nevertheless, I promised my self I would document the project. And, this is the DIY section of AquariaCentral :duh:

The below pics (top to bottom):
- Tank Stand Framing (~50% complete)
- A Corner Support Joint
- A Horizontal Support Joint
- The initial crop of notched (4 x 4) supports

I hope to complete the framing by the end of the weekend, but we shall see. :wall:

- Good Night -

Tank Stand 009.jpg Tank Stand 006.jpg Tank Stand 005.jpg Tank Stand 002.jpg

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Nice looking build, Rudy! I'll be following it every step of the way. Definitely very cool to see it from the beginning.
Tom

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Thanks Tom,

I am lucky -since my sump and all filter apparatus will be one floor below, in the basement, I am going for maximum support and stability (Overkill) with the stand.

The only hardware which may end-up directly under the tank and within the cabinet, is the pump for the closed loop. However, I might place that below deck, so to speak, as well.

I hope to have more pics tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store