Out of control cotton fungus with goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Number2

AC Members
Oct 31, 2002
Whistler, BC
Doing research for a friend of mine who has an issue with a 72 gallon goldfish tank.

Problem is a white cottony fungus that gets over everything, and grows onto the fish, killing them.

Specific details of the system are:

72 Gallon tank
3 100% water changes in the last week.
Sponge filters
Ozonator
No chlorine/chloramines in source water
Currently treating with generic fungicide
Used to store/breed goldfish feeders for koi pond
Approximately 68 F/ 18 C, and stable.
This has been a repeated, yearly problem.
kH and pH unknown, but should be stable (good mountain water)

Haven't actually seen the tank, but I did have a similar problem with my barb tank. Only the solution there was fungicide and raising the temperature, something not applicable to a coldwater tank. Will be looking at it tomorrow.

Anyone have any suggestions on controlling/killing the fungus?

Think he might turn of the ozonator for the duration of treatment, but that's about it. Thanks again!

TJcanada

AC Members
I was under the impression that ozone contactors are used to mix ozone gas with a portion of water from the tank/pond. Ozone is used as a disinfectant to kill bacteria and other harmful microorganisms that may be present in the water.
Am I misunderstanding it's use?

-How much does your friend feed on a daily basis?

-Goldfish are not Coldwater fishes in that sense of the term - they are Temperate, meaning they can live in a wide range of temperature conditions.

At the moment, I'm not sure what you're dealing with here...wish I could be of more help...

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
You mentioned that this was a yearly problem associated with bringing goldfish indoors. Does the general fungicide cure the problem each year?

Number2

AC Members
Oct 31, 2002
Whistler, BC
TJCanada:

Not to sure if the problem is yearly, but from the sounds of it, it is. I'll find out tonight and post.

JeffP:

Sorry about the coldwater mixup. My experience is more with Tiger Barbs ;)

No problem on not knowing what's happening. I really don't have a clue either, and I have a technical diploma in water/wastewater.

You are right on what ozone is used for, but not how it works.
Ozone disinfects the water through chemically reacting with everything inside it. Bacteria, medication, viruses, ect. Like most chemicals it is indiscriminant and tears apart all organics, including the medication that was added, and renders it into something hopefully less harmfull. Pretty similar to chlorine in that way, but it's quick reaction time means that it's used up by the time it hits the tank. So while it is very strong and reactive, it's only present in the water for a very short time.

It's not used as the only disinfectant for municipal water systems due to it's lack of a residual. In english, chlorine/chloramines stay around long enough to provide disinfecting power to your tap. Hence chlorine is used and provide us with issues as fishkeepers.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Well, I've had similar problems with goldies and cotton fungus, as well as tail rot and pop-eye. Raising the temp to at least 80, combined with a little aquarium salt, fungus eliminator, and melafix (to soothe them, so they don't scratch against things) will usually do the trick. 100% water changes, huh? Dump the tank and refill it? That's not such a hot idea, IMO. That just stresses the fish out, making the disease work faster. 50% is as high as I would go on a daily basis, that way the fish won't die of shock...

Just a few ideas. Fungus is a tough nut. It took me about a month of constant treatment to get it out of my oranda tank. Good luck!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I lost a favorite goldfish to what I thought was fungus...but it was actually columnaris bacteria. There are actually 3 or 4 critters that can be responsible for white cottony growth. I would check out koivet.com.

Number2

AC Members
Oct 31, 2002
Whistler, BC
Thanks Guys!

Turned out to be far better than I thought, and the fish appear to be reacting well to fungal treatment. I'll pass along the info to him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store