LT anemone..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
My cousin got a LT anemone today but we cant figure out a way to get it to attach to anything. What is the easiest way to get a LTA to attach. He has a sand base with abunch of LR. It was doing great at the store but it hasnt done much since. Is that normal? I does inflate its foot and move some tentacles but thats it. We have the powerheads off.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
An anemone is going to attach where it wants and where the conditions meet its light and current needs. You can't "glue" it down or force it to attach. You can trick it however.

Most 'nems need three things.
1) Their foot has to be safe
2) They need strong light
3) They need good current

Two out of the three are somewhat easy the first one.. eh not so easy. But with my RBTA I placed its foot into a small clay pot (check my blog) and put him in my tank. He moved once and so far hasn't moved since.

'nems when happy I have seen stay in place for years. There are some 'nems that move more than others, like Condi's they move all the time..

I would also take some time to read WWM section on anemones..

hth

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
Wish I could help but don't know much bout nems. I think you might be able to attach it with a rubberbend, but you might want to wait for some other responses to make sure I'm right.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
I found this on WWM.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemoneplacemtfaqs.htm
Long Tentacle Anemone (attachment)
How long does it take for the anemone to stick to someplace. In the past I
have had bubble anemones that stick in seconds. This long tentacle anemone
has been taking a while like 2 hours and still isn't sticking. I turned off
the powerheads so that he can have a chance to stick without floating to the
corner of the tank. Any suggestions?
<Good idea on turning off the powerheads... Like you say, some species, individuals stick right away, some never do... Very frequently these animals (actinarians) have torn bases... from rough collection... A tried and true "trick" is to use some soft netting or similar material to tie the animal down temporarily... weight the ends/corners down with some small rocks.

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
Let it float and wander, it will have to find somewhere it likes on its own. Turning the power head off is fine to try to get him to initially settle but once its back on the anemone will probably move again to find the current he likes. I would just leave the pumps on (make sure he cant get sucked up tho!) and put him in a relatively sheltered area so he doesnt blow around to much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store