Help! My angelfish is swimming diagnolly/on his side!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
:help:I don't know what to do!!!! Uriel, my angelfish, is swimming weirdly, what's wrong with him? He has a nip mark on his dorsal fin, could it be that? Or is it a swim bladder problem? Is there anyway to fix this? I think salt might help, but I can't add it since the tank has an elephant nose in it and I don't have a quarantine tank!:wall:

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
Please! Somebody help! I can't find anything on angels swimming sideways using my browser! Please!:help:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Could you please state tank size, water parameters, foods provided, tankmates and tank maintenance schedule? I don't think salt will help in this situation.

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
OK, this is embarrassing but... the tank is a ten gallon one loaded with a senegal bichir, a kribensis cichlid, an elephant nose, and a striped peacock eel. I do maintenance often, every day or two (due to the overstocking), and the ammonia levels are at .25 ppm, the nitrites, .25 ppm, and the nitrates, 5 ppm. It's cycling ATM and I am getting a new tank very soon. Also, I almost forgot this, I feed them all mainly frozen bloodworms and Top Fin Color-Enhancing Flakes, or Freeze dried blood worms. Oh and I think I forgot to mention that it's a freshwater angel, but you probably figured that out from the tank mates.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Reduce the number of your current fish. Try fasting the angelfish for a few days. If it improves, feed it on high fiber diet.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
are you doing water changes as needed? you need to try and minimize the impact of the .25 in NH3 and NO2..in a small tank like a 10 this would be very unstable as small tanks are prone to wild changes quickly.
could be showing signs of toxicity..

knep57

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Illinois
OK, when I get my new tank I'll add some of my fish to it. Until then, I'll have to leave them as is. And yes, I do water changes when needed and very often to keep the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels down. He has been swimming weirdly since I bought him (Forgot to check for diseases/health) but I'm not sure if it's because of the tank conditions or some previous illness (So posting this is pointless). Tomorrow I am going to check out tanks and will probably end up buying one. Thanks for the help. Ammonia is between 0 and .25 ppm before my last water change earlier today, nitrites were between 0 and .25 ppm, and nitrates were at 5-10 ppm.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
that tank is cycling or if it was cycled the addition of vast numbers of fish has put the biological load way ahead of what the bacteria can currently cope with. continue with water changes as frequently as necessary to keep ammonia and nitrite as close to 0 as possible - yes this will lengthen the time to cycle but you already have a sick fish.

between the poor water conditions and its tankmates, the Angel has become weakened and stressed and would appear to have contracted a swim bladder disorder which could be as a result of an injury, or a bacterial infection; best thing you could do would be to isolate it and keep the water parameters pristine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store