1 gal. tank and shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Just5398

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
Can I keep any shrimp, cherries, in a 1 gallon tank and they'll be happy?
I have it set up already and right now has nothing but pond snails in it. I would like to keep a few separate from the 20 gallon.

And can I use reptile sand in a fish tank? I would like to get rid of the gravel from the 1 gallon and replace it with sand.

Thanks!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Does the tank have any sort of filtration or moving water? What is your maintenance like on the tank? I would think you could keep a couple in there as long as the quality of water was maintained and consistent. That being said, with how cheap 10g set ups are, you could start a kickin' invert only tank. As for the reptile sand, I have no idea.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
YES 24.97 @ walmart for a ok 10g. And they always look better roaming around. If you dont have room. and the 1g is up. id say maybe 4-5 cherries and some plants- maybe the other half the tank being plants.

I have some ghost shrimp in 1g with wisteria,hornwort,java moss, a airline and some gravel. with a desktop light. But I do 2 water changes a week 60%.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I wouldn't use reptile tank sand unless I knew waht type of sand it was. I wouldn't use playsand.

I did the shrimp in a 1g w/ UGF & java moss for a few months. Then I moved 'em into a 5g - HUGE difference! They're breeding regularly now, a lot more active... They were losing at least half their eggs in the old tank & I had more frequent mature shrimp deaths in there too.

So, you *can* keep them going in a 1g, but you & they will be a lot happier in something larger.

Just5398

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
thanks. We had our betta in the 1 gallon then moved him up to a 5 gallon. I figured since it was all set up I could put something in it but I think I will just break it down and store it away.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store