Discus cost question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wulfy

AC Members
I am looking for a really nice discus to fill up my tank limit.

There is a really nice WHITE discuss at the shop (Juvenile 2.5 inches).

The thing is, the owner wants U$100 for it. He says its rare.
He calls it "White Swan Discus".

My question is, is it worth the money?
The fish is fiesty, has clean milky white color and black band visible on the eye pupil only. The fin tips are just touched with black dust.

I thought that white fish are Albinos and as such have genetic defects?

Can anyone help me?
Ive only kept discus for 6 months so I am still learning.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Is it 2.5" including the fins? Certainly sounds like a pretty fish. I don't think this fish is albino though..... albino is the absence of any colors and anywhere where color is usually is where there would be where the white and red pigments (sometimes blue even in the case for eyes). He wouldn't have the dark speckles on his fins or over his eyes....it would more than likely be pink to a deep red. If these such area's were red/pink, then it would clearly be an albino.

Personally, I'd take him.....

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
If the fish has excellent shape and you like the color and its eyes are not large for its size (suggesting a runt) then the price is fair. Mail order discus from reputable breeders often cost less but then there is $ minimums and shipping...

There are as many discus varieties as breeders who can think of new names. All white (not the same as albino) discus are reasonably new though so the rare claim may not be too far off.

See Simplydiscus.com for the best discus forum and macsdiscus.com for Images of amazing color variations.

scholar

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Laguna Niguel, CA
Visit site
Wow!

macsdiscus.com has amazing Images of discuss with great color variations. the marlboro red and pure blue are out of this world.

I say go for the discus. Since you erallylike it. However only if you know how to keep them alive. Otherwise you will be out of $$$$. :)

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
That is pretty expensive for the equivalent of US$100 at that size. White Discus are hard to find in Australia but I would not call them rare, never the less they do command a high price, but there is such a great variation in pricing from place to place to the point of being ridicules.

Generally if it does not have a clean colour (coloured specs on the fins as you mention) then it will not attract the same price. As a guide a direct importer here in Melbourne sells Discus of that size for anywhere between $35 - $75 Australian dollars depending on the breed (White Discus would be at the upper end of that but I have only ever seen them once). other shops charge up to $200 for the exact same size (and often not as healthy).

I would suggest you shop around or call Mack Lou in Melbourne (this the direct importer) on 03 95708330 and talk to him about it

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Discus Need Discus

Discus like to be kept as schools. My opinion is 5 or more is good in a 55 or larger aquarium (one per gallon). I have two "Snowflakes" that are, unfortunately "runts" of the 8 Discus I have. That's not saying most white colored Discus have problems...

Breeding pairs are worth $$.. The one you mentioned seems high priced. You can get real nice Discus at around $35 each.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
hey Joe,

That sounds like a great price.......would that cost be from getting them online? I know I haven't seen any around here that were near that price.....if online, where would you suggest?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Dangerdoll
hey Joe,
That sounds like a great price.......would that cost be from getting them online? ......if online, where would you suggest?
The best I've seen at LFS's were at $40 and they didn't look good. We got ours online at "A Discus Dream" and picked them up at the airport in excellent condition. The Snowflakes (2 of them), didn't grow as well -- runts --.... They are healthy, but smaller than the others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store