Questions for betta bowl re-scaping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
I'm going to re-'scape my betta's bowl since the bamboo didn't work out b/c of the netting on top. I'll be using some pieces of dead coral that were found on the beach. How should I treat these before adding them? One of them has some sand in it, should I get that out before I do anything?

:1zhelp:

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
The coral will drive your pH higher than it is already. If that is what you need then no problem. In the case you are going to keep the coral, a thorough rinsing and soaking is in order to get rid of most of the salt and chemical contaminants. Next I would boil it to try to kill anything that might be growing on it. At that point I'm guessing it would only be slightly hazardous in a freshwater tank. I would try to remove what sand I could while rinsing it, that way there would be less chance of some unknown getting into the bowl.

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
The coral will drive your pH higher than it is already. If that is what you need then no problem. In the case you are going to keep the coral, a thorough rinsing and soaking is in order to get rid of most of the salt and chemical contaminants. Next I would boil it to try to kill anything that might be growing on it. At that point I'm guessing it would only be slightly hazardous in a freshwater tank. I would try to remove what sand I could while rinsing it, that way there would be less chance of some unknown getting into the bowl.
Okay, I think that I'll do that. I may put the coral in for about a week before putting my betta back in just in case. I've got something he could stay in. Is there some way I could lower the pH once the coral is in?

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
No, you could do major water changes every couple of days but as long as the coral is in the water it will leach minerals and the ph will eventually rise again. I would not use coral just because it is such a small amount of water to begin with. If it was in a 30 or even a 20 gallon one piece of coral would not contribute that much to the ph, but considering it is a one or two gallon volume I would opt for some other decor. I know there is a lot of awesome artificial corals, plants etc that look fantastic and realistic too. Just my opinion.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Ya know a tank would be a lot more fun to scape....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store