Compatability, need a quick answer please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Would a Blue Cobalt ( Maylandia callainos ) and a Powder Blue Socolofi ( Pseudotropheus Socolofi) be okay together? I was just thinking that I'm doing all males and the 2 look really similar in color so I don't want them to kill one another, since I've read that males of the same species will often beat up or kill the other. I have the Blue cobalt at home in my tank already with 3 yellow labs and 1 johanni and I was just wondering if the socolofi would be okay too. Thanks.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I have both in my tank and aside from a few "run in's" they're both doing fine, their body types are different even though the two might look similar in color, socolofi is longer and slender, while cobalt is basically a zebra. But you never know for sure how it'll turn out, if anything be prepared to take out one or the other.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
might be fine - all depends on the disposition of the individual fish. socolofi are peaceful relative to other mbuna, the zebra usually a little less so. just keep any eye on them and as always with africans, have a plan B (remove to different tank/return to store).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It has worked for me in the past, but as Coler mentioned, always have a plan "B".

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I find it odd why I tend to remember only now what I have done before. I would have answered earlier. It did work for me before. No issues with the mix. Just separate whenever necessary as previously mentioned.:)

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Despite the color similarity, the cobalt blue zebra and powder blue socolofi won't view each other as conspecifics. However 'general' mbuna 'interaction' (i.e., pecking order disputes) can occur with any two mbuna's, regardless of species. My sole cobalt blue zebra has completely ignored and is completely ignored by my group of socolofi.

....socolofi are peaceful relative to other mbuna....
Experiences vary, I guess. I've found socolofi's, particularly the males, and especially multiple males, to be rather rambunctious.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
absolutely - the disposition of the individual fish plus tank mates is far more significant than a perceived species tendency.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store