Fish Dying and Water Cloudy...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjjaks

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
Does that sounds familiar to anyone? I have cloudy water, some fish have keeled over and my plants are melting.

Does this sounds familliar to anyone. I did a large water change and the cloudy water came back. I just ran a water test and as follows:

Nitrite:0.0
Nitrate:5.0
PH:6.0
Ammonia:.5

Any advice?

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
sounds like your tank isn't cycled.

If you did a large water change and your ammonia is at .5, that means it was higher than that before the water change, probable above 1.0 depending on how big of a water change it was. ammonia above .25 is harmful to your fish. and the higher it gets the more damage.

do water changes to keep ammonia under .25 while you are cycling, and after cycling at 0 at all times.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you use a liquid test kit? Does your tap water have ammonia in it? What do you use for a water conditioner?

jjjaks

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
It is a 46 gallon tank. I currently have 2 x 96 watts on 7 hours a day. I use the EI Method for fertilizing nitrate and phosphates.

I have been using a liquid test kit. Also, I have never had this problem before with the tap water.

livingword26

AC Members
Dec 5, 2006
Kansas, USA
www.aquariacentral.com
High ammonia can definitely kill fish, but not the plants. What exactly are yo putting into your tank, including water conditioners and ferts. How big is the tank, and when was it set up. All other information and readings you can supply.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Give us some readings on your tank, all parameters and definitive responses on what you are adding to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store