crayfish, shrimp and questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
I'm setting up a tank now (for my wife) to get a hammers blue crayfish Procambarus. Wife went nuts for having an invert so it was an excuse to pick up some used tanks! :-D

This blue sort she picked maxes at 5" and can go in a 20g. I heard they are less aggressive than the large ones and I wonder if a well-fed specimen would bother shrimp or some other invert kept in the same tank. I'd be putting it in a 30 gal long and create a nice abode on one end. Maybe some sort of sanctuary on the other?

I want to raise shrimps to feed to my other fish but do I need to spec a seperate 20 gal for that? Or maybe go 20 gal for crayfish if he is solo and then use 30 gal for massive shrimpery? I have both these tanks but just one spare filter/heater

I've also heard this crayfish isnt a very effective fish catcher so could breeder platys maybe be an alternative tankmate.

Lots o things to shout out about, thanks bros

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
well its up to the cray in most cases. alot of people have housed em' diff ways. I had a wild caught and a walmart bought blue cray. the wild wouldnt eat any ghost shrimp. and the blue did-from what i seen just once when i brought him home. they normally dont bother anything healthy. I have a cray in my 10g below and one with my other 10g but he passed away. the blue is plant destructive. and the wild one just moved em around. check my pics on the link below to see. If hes well fed and has a hidy hut, then you should be ok. also i never have either cray at whack at cherries due to price, so id try ghost shrimp first. and on breeding cherries with the cray. I'd say no. he'd eat the babies for sure and the shrimp "do" alot better alone, they move around alot more and colors are good. you can actually see them w/o fish in the tank. otherwise there in plants all day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store