I have 2 questions here actually...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Sorry about all the questions but i'm new to cichlids and I want to make sure I do everything right. So...

#1. I have 3 Yellow Labs, one of which is pretty big and the other 2 are a bit smaller. The big one has a really nice deep yellow color while the other 2 are more dull. Will they get a nice yellow like the other one? I don't think its a dominance thing because the bigger one was just put into the tank yesterday.

#2. I want to get some Kenyis. I really like the females and their color but so far my tank has all males. If i got say 1 Male and 3 females, would the other males in the tank harass the females a bunch? If thats going to happen then i'll just get the one male.

Thanks!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
As for the yellow Lab's, they do get "deeper" yellow with age/size, but it also depends on the fish. Some simply have better color, and some will show black markings on the face as they mature. I have a dozen that are very clean, no black on the face of even the dominant male.

As for the Kenyi, it looks like you already have several different blue fish in the tank. A 55 isn't a very large tank, particularly for mbuna, and it's not wise to mix males with similar colors/markings. Aside from crossbreeding, interspecific aggression is greater among similar-looking species. It may not be terrible when they're young, but as they grow/mature there will be deaths. There's a 125 display tank at the lfs that was stocked with a variety of mbuna and peacocks several years ago. Today the johanni are the dominant fish, while most of the other dozen or so species are extinct in that tank. There are always several johanni fry of various sizes lurking about the tank, but none of the other species managed to breed successfully.

tanyaj77

AC Members
Jul 8, 2006
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
My experience with these fish is as follows.... I really like my yellow labs. My dominant male gets a black "beard" on his face when I stress him out by cleaning the tank or something. He's a digger, and has moved about 1/4 of the sand in the tank to make his own cave. I love to get in there with the siphon and move everything back and watch him frantically try and get his home back LOL He is not agressive at all
I also have 3 kenyi's... 2 males and 1 female (didn't know the sexes of them when I bought them) The one male is the king of the tank. He chases every other fish around and forces a lot of them to hide behing the heater or at the top of the tank "playing dead" He's a dominant one for sure. I feel bad for the others because I don't really have the pleasure of watching them swim around freely. They are always hiding from "The King". I have no other problems with my other 2 kenyi's... the female is a beautiful purple/blue color. One of my favorites.

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
better quality gets better colour.
i would say the yellow labs wouldnt bother them.
kenyi fems can stand up for them selves especially from yellow labs.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
better quality gets better colour.
i would say the yellow labs wouldnt bother them.
kenyi fems can stand up for them selves especially from yellow labs.
I just added them yesterday so that could be why...but one is really nice yellow and the other 2 are more dull...maybe they'll get better as they get older, they're just juvies right now.

So then would it be wise for me to not add a Kenyi male?? I don't want him to rule the tank and terrorize the other fish like someone mentioned above. Thanks for your answers.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
My experience with these fish is as follows.... I really like my yellow labs. My dominant male gets a black "beard" on his face when I stress him out by cleaning the tank or something. He's a digger, and has moved about 1/4 of the sand in the tank to make his own cave. I love to get in there with the siphon and move everything back and watch him frantically try and get his home back LOL He is not agressive at all
I also have 3 kenyi's... 2 males and 1 female (didn't know the sexes of them when I bought them) The one male is the king of the tank. He chases every other fish around and forces a lot of them to hide behing the heater or at the top of the tank "playing dead" He's a dominant one for sure. I feel bad for the others because I don't really have the pleasure of watching them swim around freely. They are always hiding from "The King". I have no other problems with my other 2 kenyi's... the female is a beautiful purple/blue color. One of my favorites.
sounds like you have some stressed out fish, did you ever thing he needs to go to a tank where he is not bullyng the fish? I hate to see fish bullied so bad they have to hide non stop. not much fun for you either is it since you can not see them?

tanyaj77

AC Members
Jul 8, 2006
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
sounds like you have some stressed out fish, did you ever thing he needs to go to a tank where he is not bullyng the fish? I hate to see fish bullied so bad they have to hide non stop. not much fun for you either is it since you can not see them?
No I agree it's not fun, and I hate to see the fish hide all the time. From what I have researched I am under the assumption that if the agressive male is removed from the tank that another will take his place as the agressor? Is this correct?

tanyaj77

AC Members
Jul 8, 2006
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm sorry Erin14... didn't mean to steal your thread....
Off topic here, but we're almost neighbors... I'm located in Portage....

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
It would actually depend on the ratio of males to females in your tank, seeing is that you have 2 males and only 1 female could be the reason for aggression, if you take out the dom male (or either one of the males really) and add at least 2 more females it might get a little more peaceful.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
I'm sorry Erin14... didn't mean to steal your thread....
Off topic here, but we're almost neighbors... I'm located in Portage....
Oh hahaha, yeah, we are really close! Totally didn't even notice that. Way off topic though hahaha....

So what does everyone think...should I add just one male Kenyi and no females? Would that work? I could add 2 or 3 females Kenyis but I already have 3 blue fish and the rest of the fish i'm planning on getting are mostly blue so yeah... opinions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store