Yellow Tang with Red Spots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
Just got a yellow tang in the beginning of January and I have been QTing it with hyposalinity. About 5 days ago it stopped eating nori, and it used to eat 2 a day. Then the next day I saw red spots on its body, looked it up and found out it is a internal bacterial infection (http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/disease.html).

It is mainly caused by poor water quality, but that tested out fine (0,0,20, ph-8.1)...so since then I have been soaking his food (formula 2) in (gel tek) penicillin, and he has been actively eating it.

The spots now have been on and off, sometimes getting worse, sometimes not visible. I have had a few ideas: get a different medication (Nitrofuran, Kanacyn IME, Furan-2). However my main question is: is the hyposalinity (1.009-1.010) making it harder for the tang to get better?

Last edited:

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
I have heard that hyposalinity will actually help the fish heal. My understanding is that the reduced amount of salt in the mixture allows for more water, which contains more oxygen. This oxygen can be more readily used by the fish, and could be beneficial for battling disease.

I, however am no biologist, and I'm sure someone here will give you a better answer! I don't think the hyposalinity is hurting anything though. Fish are much more hardy than inverts and (luckily) parasites!

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
septisemia 100%. cleaner water is a must. vitamins in the food. maracyn-two in the water. in 5 days it'll be gone

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
Okay, so yesterday I started my first treatment of maracyn-two (also did a water change), now the tang won't eat at all, and is swimming kind of funny.. having a hard time staying up right...

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
Okay, so yesterday I started my first treatment of maracyn-two (also did a water change), now the tang won't eat at all, and is swimming kind of funny.. having a hard time staying up right...
It seems to be getting worse now. The red coloration is mostly gone (was gone this morning but forgot to note earlier), but it still can't swim very well at all and is not reacting to me being in front of the tank. Now it is just hiding in between its PVC pipe and rock.

Is it having an adverse reaction to the Maracyn-two that was added? I read on Drs. Foster & Smith website that only 1 packet per 10 gallons on the first day is needed whereas I apparently did the freshwater dosing of 2 packets per 10 gallons (as per directions on package) on the first day(yesterday).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store