sick mollies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ferin

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
I have 3 white mollies (just the regular kind) but two of them are starting to turn a greyish color (on their backs). I've only had them a couple of days and they were completly white when I got them. I did have 4 but one starting changing color and died. All the levels (chlorine, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite etc...) in the tank are fine. The only thing I can think of that would be affecting them that way is the Ich treatment i'm giving them (apparently they had ich when I got them, and since I only had 2 huge plecos (which haven't gotten it) and no other tank, I didn't quarantine them).

this is how i'm treating the ich:
Raising the water temperature (it's about 82 degrees), adding aquarium salt to the water as well as Ich medication and doing 25% water changes to get rid of any tomonts/thermonts. I've also increased the water turbulance (using an air stone) to oxyginate the water since i've read that Ich medication can lower the available oxygene in the tank.

It's only the second day of treatment and I have to continue it for at least another 8 days to be sure that all the Ich is destroyed. Obviously I don't want my fish dying because of the treatment, but if I discontinue it the infection will get worse and they'll die anyways...any suggestions or hints as to what may be wrong with them? It's only the white mollies that seem to be affected, the marbled one and the orange ones are fine.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
As far as Ich treatment goes, stop with the medication if you think it's causing problems. Ich medication is poison. It is just less harmful to fish than to the ich itself. I would do a water change and run an activated carbon filter to remove the rest of the medication. Raising your temperature to 87F should take care of your ich. Leave it there for two weeks after the last sign of ich is gone. Keep your bubbler going as higher temperature waters hold less gases, meaning less oxygen. I'd skip on the salt as your Plecos shouldn't have salt.

Is the grayness fuzzy? It's like to be fungus if it is fuzzy. Pimafix will work on that if that's what you are dealing with there.

You said your levels were fine. Can you post the actual numbers on your stats? Mollies are generally seen as sensitive to levels of nitrate, lower than some other fish. It's important to keep up with water changes to make sure they don't succumb to illness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store