20G Long plant stock help needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
I would really like to get serious about doing a planted tank. The problem is, I don't really know what plants would work best with my tank. I'm looking to you all for help with planting this tank. I would prefer a good assortment of plants to make this a spectacular viewing piece.
First off, it's a 20 gallon long tank. The dimensions are: [FONT=&quot]30 1/4(L) x 12 1/2(W) x 12 3/4(H). The light that I have on it is a [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]30" Coralife Aqualight Single Linear Strip Compact Fluorescent Fixture (65W Total) with a 50/50 (white/blue) 65W bulb--picture can be found here: [/FONT]http://www.marineandreef.com/products/aqualight30ReefSing.jpg. I'm wondering if I should change this bulb to a 10,000K or 6,700K bulb as I understand that the blue does no good. If so, which one should I get the 10,000K or the 6,700K? I'm not good at this K stuff yet! There is about 2"-3" of Flourite Plant Substrate already in the tank. I have a red sea CO2 system. The pH stays around 7.4 (although I may lower it by removing some of the crushed coral that I have in my filter), temperature 78 degrees (may bump it up to 80), GH 7 (125.3), KH 3 (53.7), and it is a community tank that currently consists of: 1 Krib (Pelvicachromis Pulcher), 1 Long Fin Orange Danio, 2 Julii Corys, and 1 SAE. Also, will I need to add ferts? If so, tell me what to get!
So please help. What plants can I used to make a spectacular planted tank? Thank you in advance. If there's a site that lists aquatic plants and their lighting needs and what not, please point me in that direction! oOo I forgot to mention, I have two pieces of driftwood that will be worked into the equation as well as a rock cave. Here are pictures of the driftwood to be used.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Ideally I would replace that marine bulb with a 67000K one or perhaps a 10000K. But those bulbs are costly so I would probably go with what you have and see how it goes. I have heard people on this site who say they use acnitic bulbs in their planted tanks with good success.
For plants you just want to make sure you get something that is not going to overgrow the tank. Many 'background' type plants would get too large for your 20G long. www.plantgeek.com has a nice listing of plants according to size and other parameters.

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
Ideally I would replace that marine bulb with a 67000K one or perhaps a 10000K. But those bulbs are costly so I would probably go with what you have and see how it goes. I have heard people on this site who say they use acnitic bulbs in their planted tanks with good success.
For plants you just want to make sure you get something that is not going to overgrow the tank. Many 'background' type plants would get too large for your 20G long. www.plantgeek.com has a nice listing of plants according to size and other parameters.
Thank you! I will check out that site. The bulb will definitely be replaced if the actinic isn't doing the plants any good. I'm just not sure which is better--6700K or 10000K? I don't get the K stuff!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
6700k mirrors natural sunlight and is in the range commonly used in planted tanks. I'm not sure there's much benefit to jumping to 10K in a freshwater tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store