My Otopharynx lithobates has eggs in it's mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Hey my Otopharynx lithobates has eggs in it mouth and yeah i also hace a male with it and 3 electric blues i need to know if it ok to catch the female and place her in anouther tank or something so the elecs do not eat the fry.

If anyone has anything to tell me about what to do and what would be my best option plz post back.

ps. how long till the eggs will hatch ?????

CHEERS

Last edited:

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
Normally, Africans hold between 3-4 weeks. The eggs may actually hatch during the 1st 2 weeks but the mother will still hold them after that until she decides at what time to spit them out into the world.
I currently have a zebra and an electric yellow that are holding. Both batches have hatched(you can see them when they open their mouths to breath) but each mother still has 1-2 weeks of holding left.
Whether you want to net the mother or not is up to you. Some people do, some don't. I didn't net my electric yellow the 1st time she held babies and I ended up losing them all when she spit them into the tank with about 30 other vicious hungry tankmates. When my L. fuelleborni held last month, I chose to make up a baby holding tank and I moved her there for her last week until she spit the babies out. I will do that with my electric yellow and zebra too. I don't want to lose anymore babies.
One cautionary thing to mention though, whether you want to move the mother or not will depend on her reaction to you trying to move her. I've had a few people tell me that the mother will either swallow or spit prematurely at the sight of a net or being chased.
I move my fish because they are pretty hardy and they've been holding their babies in a tank full of psychos (I love my Africans, really I do ;) ) so I figure a net isn't going to scare them that much.
Another option to consider is dividing your tank with the holding mother on one side and the other fish on the other side. That would probaby be less stressful for everyone. Good luck! It's a long wait but it is worth it to see those cute little babies!

Last edited:

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
wow , wat a slow moving thread..

But I know funsize and I don't think a tank separator is the way to go with his tank...it is quite high. Last I heard he was going to put her in a hex tank that is about 16gal. What i'm curious is how do the mothers eat? and when?

plus if she swallows the fry wouldn't that deter her from brooding again? Don't know much about the mouth brooders but I must say that I'm quite interested....seeing as I'm slowing developing a tank full of the "psuedotrophus" type.

<><FunSize><>

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for that info i am ganna just leave them in the tank for now and i am ganna set up anouther tank for them so after this set of fry i can place them in that tank. hopefully the male will be able to look after the fry and yeah.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store