Prices for mushrooms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
I just wondered what price would you guys/girls get, if like me you decided to thin down your overexuberant Green Discosma colony and take some pieces in to your local lfs?
I Took to mine a small piece of coral skeleton of about 0.2kg with 12 or more shrooms on it and a larger piece of about 0.4kg of light live rock with about 30+ shrooms and the trade he offered was to weigh the two pieces together and tell me for the smallest he would only pay £2.50 and the larger one he would sort me out a small piece of jarva live rock from his next delivery which would be covered in red, green and blue algae.
Small piece i'm thinking would be under 1kg.
I have seen a piece like the larger one for sale for around £22 in other lfs.
What do you get and have i been done? :wall:

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
could you say that again in like, dollars and pounds? :lol:

i plead American arrogance, but i seriously im lost.

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Sorry Bob,
One small piece of dead coral with 12 good sized mushrooms on it and a bit of live rock the size of a normal flat hand with 30+ mushrooms on it and the guy at the lfs said for the smallest, if he brought it from a wholesaler he would only pay $5 for it, but sell it on for $30. So basically he was saying they were worth nothing much as a trade.
I just wanted to know if this was the case for all?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ya, it usually is for common mushrooms. They grow like weeds, as you have found out, and are not worth much to a LFS. I don't think they were being unreasonable with their offer. Usually you are better off trading a frag like that with someone else for something different, ie zoas or something than bringing in to a LFS. I tried the same thing once, had a good size rock with 20+ green striped mushrooms and the LFS was pretty much going to give me the cost of the rock and like $5 more for the mushrooms. Wasn't really worth it, but they were out of control so I just got a little bit bigger piece of live rock in trade for the mushroom rock I brought in.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
ive found that with selling or trading with the LFS', that unless you're given them the primo specimens, they'll do their absolute best to low-ball ya.

honestly, it might be woth your while to trade or sell to another reef-geek :D

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
I'm not sure they'll survive the trip across the pond but i'm willing to try, :laugh:
I just wanted to be asured he wasn't taking the mick.
But when you have as many as me, swapping for a new piece of live rock isn't so bad :grinyes:
Thanks Bob 'n' Ace :woot:

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
If you cant find another hobbyist near you to trade them with I would go ahead and trade for the live rock. Ricordea's are about the only coralamorphs that my lfs will give decent trade for.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
those, round these parts would range from like $5-$15 bucks each depending on where you go.

u ever, considered anything other than boomers?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store