Swim bladder problem in paradise fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GiddyUpGo

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
Hello,

I'm still pretty much a newbie when it comes to my tank. I have a paradise fish who about a week and a half ago started having buoyancy problems. He spends most of his time at the top of the tank and every few minutes he'll roll onto his side and float until one of the other fish comes along and bothers him. I have a dwarf gourami that he'll sometimes duke it out with and I wonder if that fish could have injured him, or if it's "swim bladder disease" which I read about on another site.

He eats and is fairly capable of swimming at feeding time or when occasionally interacting with other fish, but when resting he just doesn't seem to be able to stay upright. I kept expecting that he was going to die (I always thought when fish went "belly-up" they were doomed) but it's been 10 days now and he actually seems OK.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem and if it can be fixed?

Thanks,
Becki

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Overfeeding can cause this. It's common in goldfish who will take food from the top of the water and gulp air at the same time. They'll take in too many flakes which will expand and this causes the fish to flop around and be unsteady. The solution is to feed less, soak the flake first. Overfeeding can also cause constipation. Try feeding 1 pea, skinned. Epsom salt is also good for constipation. You'll have to look up dosage though as I don't know.

You don't mention your water parameters. Water quality can also cause this. Doing a 50% water change might help.

From what I understand and for others reading pls. correct me if I'm wrong but paradise fish, bettas and gouramis shouldn't be put together. They get territorial. I'd isolate the paradise fish until he's well and put the gouramis or paradise in separate tanks later. Stress causes many problems in fish - sometimes to the point of death.

Swim bladder disease is caused by bacteria. I don't think this is the problem here since it's been 10 days and the fish is still eating. I'd try the above suggestions first and then treat for a bacterial (internal) infection last.

By isolate I mean put it into another tank. Size doesn't matter as long as the fish can move around. You need to keep the water clean and add an airstone. If you can, add a heater so the temp remains constant. Feed the pea and take him off of his food for a couple of days. I usually float some plants in an isolation tank to help the fish feel more secure as netting and moving is stressful in itself. You're isolating the fish to get it away from the gouramis so keep that in mind when you go to put him back in his tank.

good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store