What's the longest you've left your tank to run itself while on vacation?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
I do not travel much, usually just 2-3hrs away to see family for a few days now and then. I am in the process of making my 50gal fowlr self-sustaining for up to 7-10 days or so. I figure plan for 10days and 2-4days should be a breeze. It scares me when I hear of people coming back home to dead tanks. My system will probably seem overkill to many but I like peace of mind and want to do everything possible to avert disaster. My config is almost complete and will consist of:

-tunze osmolator, for automatic fresh water top up
-tunze water alarm, for switching off pumps if an overflow is imminent or pipe bursts
-dual auto feeders for 2small feeds a day, 1 feed should a feeder malfunction and break
-UPS battery backup, sustains circulation for up to 4hrs (already tested)
-lighting is on timers
-chiller, house can get hot in summer when closed up
-d-link IP ethernet camera that sends live video of the tank to a webpage, I can then check the page a couple times a day if needed
-monitoring service on my home adsl router that txt's me if my home router goes down which would mean my home power likely is down.
-dominick, my neighbor and friend a few doors down likely to get a frantic call if anything horrific goes wrong

I think I am fairly covered. I also plan to do a water change, clean filters and pumps before departing as well. Mid feb. is my first trip away from the tank and will be for 3 days..

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
I do not travel much, usually just 2-3hrs away to see family for a few days now and then. I am in the process of making my 50gal fowlr self-sustaining for up to 7-10 days or so. I figure plan for 10days and 2-4days should be a breeze. It scares me when I hear of people coming back home to dead tanks. My system will probably seem overkill to many but I like peace of mind and want to do everything possible to avert disaster. My config is almost complete and will consist of:

-tunze osmolator, for automatic fresh water top up
-tunze water alarm, for switching off pumps if an overflow is imminent or pipe bursts
-dual auto feeders for 2small feeds a day, 1 feed should a feeder malfunction and break
-UPS battery backup, sustains circulation for up to 4hrs (already tested)
-lighting is on timers
-chiller, house can get hot in summer when closed up
-d-link IP ethernet camera that sends live video of the tank to a webpage, I can then check the page a couple times a day if needed
-monitoring service on my home adsl router that txt's me if my home router goes down which would mean my home power likely is down.
-dominick, my neighbor and friend a few doors down likely to get a frantic call if anything horrific goes wrong

I think I am fairly covered. I also plan to do a water change, clean filters and pumps before departing as well. Mid feb. is my first trip away from the tank and will be for 3 days..
Wow thats intense. I like the camera idea. You should tell us the link. Oh and how do you have a monitoring service on your dsl router. Thats cool.

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
i leave mine routinely for 2-3 day weekends as well... i keep all of my lights on their normal timers and everything is great!

ive never had an issue leaving my tank for a couple days at a time..

as far as the food goes, fish could go about 2 weeks without food... but i wouldn't go any longer than that.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
The longest I've left mine so far is for 24 hrs when i had to stay overnight in hospital. Knowing what my fish are like for jumping down the overflows I don't think I'd dare risk any longer!!!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
We left our reef tank for 10 days last February. Lights are always on timers, but we added an auto top-off prior to leaving to keep the water level right. We came back and everything was fine -- the fish appeared to be a bit hungry, but otherwise they were fine.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Thats a sweet setup. WOW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store