Problem feeding my dwarf puffers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

albert einstein

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I am having a bit if difficulty feeding my dwarf puffers. I currently have about 8 neons in there with them. I feed them blood worms and mysis frozen shirmp.. 2 out fo the 3 dwarf puffers eat, yet there is one that isnt.. Im afraid soon it will starve like the other 3 i bought.. What seems to be the problem here? Some dwarfs eat while others wont..

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'd try snails to see if that worked, but he might just not feel up to eating due to the stress of transportation, or something else...they seem to have a high mortality rate for some reason, and you've hit the nail on the head--either they eat or don't. I wonder if his beak is too long...?

albert einstein

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Yes that seems to be the case.. I get some, some eat, some dont.. Guess its a hit or miss situation when gettin these puppies...

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The only thing mine definatly ate during their brief life was live mosquito larva. They loved snails as well but only if they saw them moving when I first put them in. But even though mine did eat they were terribly skinny when they died. Maybe they lack stomach bacteria from all those days of poor treatment at the LFS?

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
mine doesn't eat anything but live worms. if its not live worms, they nibble it them spit it out. end of story :p

but it took me alot of attempts to get them to eat. i had to try frozen worms and brine shrimp, live ghost shrimps, pellets, flakes...everything until i went to ask my lfs what they fed them. it turn out to be worms. and they eat nothing else

so i suggest going down to the lfs to ask what they actually feed them and maybe there will be your answer! :D

hope it works out!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Try some live foods--live blood worms, snails and live brine are a good bet. A variety of foods is best for all fish, and puffers are no exception, though they often won't cooperate. Juveniles are very picky and hard to feed, but all of mine will now eat anything i throw at them. I keep a healthy stock of snails in a different tank and add them regularly as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store