DIY HOB attachments?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluegryffin

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
So, I was going to buy the bio-wheel attachments for a marineland magnum 350 canister filter, but it looks like you can't buy that part by itself. It may even be discontinued. So I was thinking about going to the hardware store and putting together some stuff to set a pair of bio-wheels into, and attach the hose from the canister into. Anyone heard of or tried anything like this?

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
You can build the bio wheel pro 30 or 60 by buing the following parts from bigals.com

Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Bearings (2)
Store Item #1382301
SKU 5820
Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Barbed Tee Connector With O-Rings
Store Item #1382311
SKU 5831
Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Sliding Nut And Screw (L-R Set) Packg-2
Store Item #1382305
SKU 5825
Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Spray Bar Assembly
Store Item #1382304
SKU 5824
Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Filter Housing
Store Item #2589635
SKU 5823
Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Assembly/Eclipse 3
Store Item #1382302
SKU 5821 $ 14.38 USD 2
Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Cover Assembly
Store Item #1382300
SKU 5819 Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro Cover Assembly
Store Item #1382300
SKU 5819

the t connector is only if you want to put 2 together like the emperor 400 then you can connect it to either a power head or a canister. i have mine connected to canister filters. if you only use one you will need to buy a barbed elbow instead of the "T"

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
The Marineland Magnun PRO 350 still comes with the biowheel. Go to http://www.marineland.com/products/diagram_ecom/n_mag350_bpro.asp and you can but each part individually by clicking on the numbers by the part. (Parts #1-10). I have a 55 gallon tank and the magnum pro 350 came with two bio wheel components connect together for maxumum surface area.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Even sillier question - why use a biowheel at all?

I have used biowheels on several tanks. Several of these tanks no longer use biowheels as they have been switched to canister filters.

There has been no change either for good or ill except that the water doesn't evaporate from the tanks as fast as it used to.

Waste I say is the biowheel unless maybe for a marine tank.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana

I have used biowheels on several tanks. Several of these tanks no longer use biowheels as they have been switched to canister filters.

There has been no change either for good or ill except that the water doesn't evaporate from the tanks as fast as it used to.

Waste I say is the biowheel unless maybe for a marine tank.
I love my bio wheels, and I do mind the evaporation. I just do a water change when I see the water down 1 inch, which means once a week LOL!

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
Thats hilarious, I do the same thing and it is almost always right at 7 days. Easy reminder of when to do the water change. I live in Colorado Springs and the humidity level is near 10% during the winter, plenty of evaporation!

blasterman_

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Because it makes some peole feel like they are improving the health of their tank putting gadgets on it that don't really accomplish much. Walk into any high end stereo store on a saturday and note all the males customers buying high end cables and other gadgets that don't do anything either. Same part of the brain in play :)

If you noticed, when you pull the biowheel off your tank nothing much happened. The reason is that gravel and other media inside your tank will out-compete the bio-wheel as bacteria hosts. So, this falls into my category as gimmicks that don't do much, but don't harm either. The good thing is that HOB style filters introduce top/down current flow into a tank, and this is WAY better than bubblers or most cannisters. Note that if you are fussy about C02 levels in a planted tank than HOB water flow might be counter productive for this reason. For breaking up water strata though in a bigger tank, HOB filters, even empty, are terrific water movers and preferable to power heads.

The one thing that does bother me is trying to get somebody to rationalize with me the justification for even wanting to move the critical biological filter from inside the tank (where it is most stable) to to a plastic appliance hanging on the tank that requires AC power to operate. This makes no sense. It's like, a healthy person saying they actually want to have a colostomy bag.

FYI - those of us who are experienced on the marine side don't promote bio-wheels either. The difference is there is still an entrenched marine community that uses wet/drys that utilize the same principle as a bio-wheel. These are ironically the same people that seem to whine the most about tank crashes and high nitrates anyways.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Because UGFs are clearly outdated, and almost useless for mechanical filtration.

I will agree with the fact that bio-wheels are gimmicks so far as saying that they work better than anything else, but if you have one, use it.

And may I ask, what powers a UGF? if you said bubbles, then yes, ok. What makes the bubbles, an air pump. what does the air pump run on? AC ELECTRICITY. It just goes through more steps.

And last I knew, no one on the marine side promoted HOB filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store