Can I put my Betta in my 29G overnight?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Hi all. I just bought a stunning midnight blue Betta that I couldn't resist. I didn't have time to get to the craft store to pick out the bowl I will put him in. He's still in the bag right now.

Was just wondering if I could put him in the 29G temporarily. (There are Pearl gouarami's, Cherry barbs, a Platy, Gold Ram Cichlids and a pleco in there).

Could a Betta live forever in a 29G with those other fish?

TIA!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Forever? No, not without a divider. And I probably wouldn't even put him in there temporarily. What I would do instead is put him in a clean bucket with water for a bit, or maybe a Mason jar or something just as long as a new home will be available in the near future.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Not with those gouramis in their I wouldn't chance it. He'll be fine for a little while in a nice clean jar.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Is there any chance you could get him something like a 5 gallon tank?

Bettas, while they are tough should really have a filtered tank that they can actually move in...;)

When you see stores with the bettas in the containers or you see a professional breeder who keeps them in a small containers, it's because the stay is only temperary...plus it would get rather expensive to keep 500 bettas in tanks.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Besides all the above, and the fact that it's long past your overnight question, one other fact would have made it a bad idea. Your new fish was "just bought" and could possibly have introduced a disease to your established tank.

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Thanks for all the replies guys! I went to the craft store today and was thrilled to find on clearance a large vase especially made for the Betta fish. It has a little cup to put a plant in the neck of it--the whole thing was only $3 bucks! I bought two of them--it will look more balanced on my fireplace mantle with two!

I took a picture to show you...I still haven't put the plant in it--have to make a run to LFS for that and another Betta for the second vase! BTW isn't my Betta's coloring georgous?!

Thanks again for the replies!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would drop the water level a little bit. Betta need surface area as they come up to breath. Make sure if you put a plant in there that you leave plenty of room for the betta to come up to breath. And also make sure that you change some of the water out every other day with a good dechlorinator.

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Thanx TKOS...How far would I drop the water? It's only up to the neck...Don't know if it was an optical illusion from the flash and you thought the water was higher than it is but it's just about up to the base of the neck of the vase...

Oh BTW you don't have to worry, I"m not naive enough to think he will survive on the roots of the plant I'm going to put in there ;) . I already gave him a pinch of frozen blood worms and he was quite thankful!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Generally, dropping the water to the widest point in the vase is for the best...that way the betta has maximal surface area available for gas exchange.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Cool. Actually halfway up the neck looks like the thinnest area. I would drop it till it hits the top of the widest point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store