Fish not using entire tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MiramichiMob

AC Members
Aug 6, 2007
Miramichi, NB, Canada
I have a 55 gallon tank,,,4ft long. I have 8 or 9 cichlids in it. On the left side of my tank is the HOB filter,,along with the heater. I have rock decor,,with many caves and a couple fake plants, one on each side of tank. Airstone is in middle of tank.
The problem is all my cichlids seem to hang out on the right side of the tank. I rearrange it at least once a month, changing it all around, hoping to make some nice caves on the left side to entice them over there,,but it never works.
Any suggestions on how I can encourage them to use the whole tank. Anyone else ever have this problem?

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
mine do the same thing!! in fact it drove me nuts. but I figured it out, I was feeding them in the same location every day, for months. now I go to the end of the tank, now there on both sides more :)

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
mine go where there is most waterflow and for a while they were only in the back right corner because that is where the nozzel (located in the back left corner) for my canister filter was pointed, but i added a powerhead in the front right corner pointed towards the front left corner and, well now my cichlids are everywhere! they tend to enjoy digging in the sand and making caves of their own under my lava rock, but still they love chasing each other around the tank. ESPECIALLY my labs!

trigger9

AC Members
Aug 24, 2005
mine do that as well. They seem grouped away from where my canister filter out nozzle is. So the strong flow may do that. Any way to return the strong current?

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
;) This is a long shot but measure the temp. at either end & see if there is a significant difference. It's possible they could favor the temp. on one side more than the other. "T"

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
good idea to check temps; also if this is a new set-up they will also tend to be finding security in groups, especially young fish...they will settle in, especially as they grow (are we talking mbuna ? you can get some more in there and they will certainly mix it up more). but they do do this a bit alright - you would go nuts trying to work out why....

"hey hows it hanging...pretty good here huh...you thinking of going over there"..."me ? nope...you ?"...."maybe later...you coming ?"....."yeah...maybe later...these rocks rock!"..."sure do...so...you coming over there or what"..."you go first"...."alright then I'll smack your head in hows about that"..."yeowch"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store