Cichlid and Disease ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
Hello,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEEnEbCzKF8

my friend's Cichlids are in a quarantine tank. Im not sure whats its down with..

Couldnt get a clear shot so I took a video. The camera is titled, they are swimming fine.

The focus is on the orange one. It has red on its gill area and the body seems to be showing the internal..

Eating properly, still aggressive and active. Water parameters should not be a problem as I do 50% ever other day.

Can I know what cichlid is this and what is wrong with it?

Thanks!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
can't tell what it is exactly, but it looks like a mbuna from lake malawil quite a lot have that orange colouration.

my question is whether that red looks like an inflammation, a wound, or natural colour.

also, test that tank for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with a good liquid drop test kit.

did the red show up on bringing him home/when did it show up ?

generally try and keep the water pristine - nitrates between 5 and 10 or as low as you can get them.

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
The red is definitely not a wound or inflammation.. It looks almost natural with it..
The other orange fish has exactly the same thing too - on both sides! And only the orange ones have it. The blue ones dont. BUT T\the colour of one of the orange has became somewhat duller than the other.

However, Im not sure if Cichlids have gills that are red like that and the body that is somewhat 'transparent' showing what seems to be the internal organs.

Water parameters are okay. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate <5

Its already in a quarantine tank my friend had.. I do not know if he bought it this way..

Thanks

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
not sure.but there are Angel fish(cichlid) that are called 'blushers' when they are juveniles they have lack of coloration on the gill plates ..this allows the red to show thru ..the red is usually a vivid red like blood.it appears to be similar in these fish.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
^ I'd agree...if it doesn't look like a wound/inflammation, there is probably nothing to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store