"Package" Good deal or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i am finally for real going to start my reef now that i have had a year to get all of the equipment ready, from the diy sump to the hoses to hook everything up. I was going to get my rock from tampa SW as one of their packages, are these packages really a good deal? or should i just get the rock from them and the cleanup crew from somewhere else? the clean up crew for a 37 just seems huge to me i could be wrong though. has anyone has had any experience with one of these "packages"? please any input is great, thanks everyone. :help:

htrae2014

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am not familiar with this company or what they offer, but typically these cleanup packages that are offered are completely over-kill and the animals may wind up starving to death; especially in the early stages of a tank where there are no micro/macro algaes established or little critters present. It is best to add your clean-up crew a little at a time as needed IMO

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've never ordered from TBS myself, but have seen incredible pictures of their rock on other forum sites. Every place that I've seen someone say they bought rock from them, the people have said they love it and it was worth every penny.

As for their critter / clean-up crew packages, they are a bit over the top. IMO, they include at minimum twice as many critters as I would put in the tank size they list the package as being for. I've found it better to add clean-up crew members as needed when there is a reason to have a specific type of snail or hermit.

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
with the prices in the package its hard to beat especially with the prices for LR in this area, so i think i might do the package but sell the critters i don't want back to the LFS, anyone think thats a good idea, cuz my LFS is always willing to buy/trade animals/plant/frags. back to u guys

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
lol, yeah the other few stores around here are the same i've just been going to this one for a few years now with my freshwater stuff, and i've been gathering all of the equipment over the last year and a half, and mostly thanks to this site i've been able to get a very good understanding on what i'm aboutto get into, so hopefully when that check comes from uncle sam i'll be off and cycing my reef tank.:headbang2:

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i might even keep a few extras in the fuge, but i'm not sure, ido have a humongous sump for this tank, which is almost as much volume as the tank itself, so who knows... only time will tell, i've had such great self control not to dive into this as i almost caved in last spring, but now thhe anticipation is overwhelming, well thats enough for me, c-ya.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store